• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 from active reserves

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
I've got a few questions about STA-21. I'm currently in the Navy Reserve and am getting ready to be activated to go overseas in January for a six-month tour of duty. According to the STA-21 website I will be eligible to apply as a reservist since I will be on active duty.

If accepted for STA-21, would I remain on active duty awaiting orders to NSI after the rest of my unit is back in reserve status or would I be put back in reserve status as well until I go to NSI? If I did remain on active duty, where would I be stationed in the meantime before I report to Newport?

One more question. Is it better to apply for only the core option, specific designator or both?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
One more question. Is it better to apply for only the core option, specific designator or both?

This is really the only one I can respond to. There is no reason not to apply for core, unless you would not want to be anything other than that option. If you apply for pilot and are not selected you then are looked at for core along with people who applied for just core, or just an option. So, there are more chances to get picked up if you apply for both core, and an option.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
This is really the only one I can respond to. There is no reason not to apply for core, unless you would not want to be anything other than that option. If you apply for pilot and are not selected you then are looked at for core along with people who applied for just core, or just an option. So, there are more chances to get picked up if you apply for both core, and an option.
Concur.

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Thanks for the advice. I kinda figured that applying for both would help my chances so I'll do that when the time comes to apply.

Oh and a new question, the CO of my seabee battallion is a reservist like most of us in the unit and this deployment will be his first active duty assignment as of yet as far as I know. Will I have to explain to him the STA-21 program or should he already know about it? I had to ask this because a lot of my fellow reservists could care less about becoming an officer and most of them (enlisted) shun me for wanting to be an officer. I believe my CO has an open door policy. Is this a topic I should bring straight to him or should I go through my chain of command? Any help would be appreciated.

Red_

None
Definitely use your chain of command. Bypassing your chain of command will only make things worse. As far as the CO knowing what the STA-21 program is, I'd be willing to bet he does. However, the CO may not know all the specifics and so if he should ask, you should be very familiar with chapter 8 of OPNAVINST 1420.1 and everthing the STA-21 website has to offer.
http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/index.html

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The only times I talked to the CO without talking to the rest of the chain of command was when I was the captains fsa. And, that was only regarding laundry/food, and stuff like that. I can't think of a single time where an E-4/E-5 would not use his chain of command prior to talking to a CO.

Like red said. Know everything about that opnav, it should be second nature to you.