• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FOS

nodropinufaka

Here is the problem though. People get sent all over and its all luck.

I got sent to a JIOC as a LTJG with 18 months til I pinned LT. I did the same jobs as the LTs at the command but I was not given a breakout because I was junior. Same happened for a ton of guys who showed up as very junior LTs or LTJG.

Then you got guys showing up at 8-9 years as LTs and being given EPs for their first FITREP before they even finish the watch simply because they are senior.

You can take all the hard jobs you want but if you are junior, too bad. I watched it happen over and over.

Career management is a nice buzzword for the 1830 community but its entirely based on luck and whats available to you. It is nothing like the other line communities who actually have set milestons and career paths.

Could you imagine a SWO LTJG being put into a OPS billet on a CRUDES? No. It would never happen. Happens all the in the 1830 community.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Everyone is eligible for O4 at 9 of years of commissioned service, which means you are typically (depending on your commissioning date) eligible for the board the year prior. For example, I hit 9 years commissioned service 07/2018. I went up for O4 during the 04/2017 board, got selected and then pinned on after 07/2018 after which I hit my flow point for O4: 9 years commissioned service.

What does this mean: screening for O4 two years earlier? You are not eligible for O4 until you hit 9 years commissioned service.

View attachment 23004
OP said he commissioned in 2012 and screened in 2019. That's 7 years after commissioning. I commissioned in 2006 and screened "on time" (meaning typical flow) in 2015, 9 years after commissioning. 9 - 7 = 2 years early.

Since 2010, many 13xx LTs have been screening 10 years post-commission, though they've been shifting the flow back earlier each year.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Come on over to the Reserve. We don't have this competitive tour business. By this, I mean we have a different standard, a lower standard as compared to active duty. That's why people like Timothy Dorsey can come over and nearly make FO.

We get good folks rolling off active duty, and we also get turds who come over and do more in the Reserve than the person sitting next to them, and they promote because Reserve CO's rate people who "help" much higher than people who just sit around.

One of my many examples: active duty sub officer gets kicked out of active duty for failure to attain. Dudes CO would not qualify him in submarines. Dude comes over to Reserves. I serve with him for three years. Smart, but a walking disaster. Happens to be same designator as unit CO who is trying to get him promoted to O4. CO puts him in Reserve "DH" roles (admin officer, etc.) ahead of more qualified/experienced/senior folks. Disaster. Goes through IDWO pin qual board numerous times. Dude finally makes O4. Dude is now a f*cking O5 because our designator (182X) has an 80%+ select rate for O5. And, if you have FITREPs that are better than your peers, you get the ticket.

If you come over and are a hard charger, you will blaze over most people. And by hard charger, I mean doing more than the guy just sitting there. So it's not that much more work.

When I was in the 183X community and in my current community, 182X, I always volunteer to do the admin officer job and other menial work. It's easy and I get good paper. My current CO told me, "Write whatever you want in your FITREP and I'll sign it."

Last edited:
Shipmates, I need some help. I was commissioned via STA-21 and since I was commissioned so early by my school, I was IZ (most junior for the cycle) for O4 this cycle even though I only commissioned in '12. Needless to say I wasn't picked up, I barely have any time in. I digress, my STA-21 time does not count per big Navy. So, even though I have continually served since '01 (18 years), Big Navy sees me as being in for only 16 years since my 2 year STA-21 time doesn't count and if I FOS again next cycle, I will be let out since I do not have the required 18 years to be in sanctuary. I'll be 2-3 months short. I cannot find the instruction that says it doesn't count and the STA-21 office will not write me back. I simply saw a statement of service in my OMPF. I'm freaking out only b/c I just PCSed, so my FITREP will not really improve my chances while I'm AZ next cycle. Any insight and help will be greatly appreciated.

I saw a note about the continuation board on the pers website recently about this because I have feared a similar fate (haven't gone up for O-4 yet though). The note for that years continuation board said something like O-4s will be continued no later than 20 years, and if you're a prior E O-3 to contact the board for specifics. Very vague, I'll see if I can find a link.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Everyone is eligible for O4 at 9 of years of commissioned service, which means you are typically (depending on your commissioning date) eligible for the board the year prior. For example, I hit 9 years commissioned service 07/2018. I went up for O4 during the 04/2017 board, got selected and then pinned on after 07/2018 after which I hit my flow point for O4: 9 years commissioned service.

What does this mean: screening for O4 two years earlier? You are not eligible for O4 until you hit 9 years commissioned service.
ike said:
Since 2010, many 13xx LTs have been screening 10 years post-commission, though they've been shifting the flow back earlier each year.
The current flow point for URL O-4 is 10 1/2 YCS and is increasing to 11 YCS by 2022.

OP is not an URL officer, so I can't speak to their statutory board timing. You'd think it would be the same, but apparently not.

Attachments

• FY19 URL Zone Projections Redacted.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The current flow point for URL O-4 is 10 1/2 YCS and is increasing to 11 YCS by 2022.

OP is not an URL officer, so I can't speak to their statutory board timing. You'd think it would be the same, but apparently not.
I doubt it's increasing. The 5-yr forecasts have shown later flow points for later years since I started looking at them over 10 years ago. People with lineals in the senior 10-15% (and their front offices) should always be prepared to get "sucked up."

I always assumed this is primarily due to people quitting while PERS tries to keep the number eligible constant(ish).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's increasing.

The date of rank cutoff for the FY18 promotion board was July 1st (essentially anyone who commissioned after June 1st in 2008). All they have to do to meet the 11 year projection is push the DOR cutoff by one month to the left.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Again, flow point is time from commissioning to promotion (not eligibility). To get average flow point, you have to do the math from commissioning date (not always May) to promotion date (not always September). Of course, the new meritorious promotion deal screws with the math.

azguy

None

I've known RL/Staff guys to make it 1-2 YGs before URL. Reservists also make it earlier.

Of course, the new meritorious promotion deal screws with the math.

If anything, I think the merit system slides flow-point to the left; mostly because 45% (vice 33%) of the YG now promotes before September (and it's heavily front-loaded with 15% in October).

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
If anything, I think the merit system slides flow-point to the left; mostly because 45% (vice 33%) of the YG now promotes before September (and it's heavily front-loaded with 15% in October).
Ah, I have learned...

You're right. It looks like part of the meritorious program is 15% promote in October, so there's no negative effect on the rest of us non-WTI/non-double-tap/non-community-job types.

azguy

None
Is that how it works? I was pretty sure the meritorious 10% just take the first 3 1/3 months, and it's still 3%/month until September. I'll have to check the phasing plan on NPC.

Meritorious promotions are the top 15% of a board. And yes, that whole 15% promotes Oct 1 of the FY per the phasing plan.

Only impact is if you're in the bottom 85% of the board (by performance), but top 33% of seniority. In that case your promotion is delayed 1 month from what it would have been in the legacy system. Again, I'm pretty sure this results in avg flow point being sooner/more junior than last year.