• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Core Option Service Selection

want2beflyin

I am an STA-21 Core option and will be up for service selection later this year. Does anyone have any gouge on what is considered competitive (ASTB scores, GPA, etc.), how many pilots/NFOs they select, or any thing else that would be good to know regarding the process? Any other STA-21 Core options up for selection this year? Post your Stats.

My Stats:
GPA 3.42
History major
ASTB-6/6/5
Top 3 Choices: 1-SNA, 2-SNFO, 3-Nuke

sweetnuts

I will also be up for service selection this year. Last year they selected two pilots out of ~40 Core options. We had one Core option from our unit who did service selection this past year, and he got his second choice (SNFO). He had a strong GPA ~3.7 (Biochem), not sure about his ASTB scores. As for me, GPA-3.72 (math), ASTB-6/7/6, Top 3-SNA/SNFO/SWO

SQUIDutah

pilot
I had similar GPA and ASTB's and got selected from Core option, but it all depends on the number of slots (needs of the Navy). In 2007 everyone at my unit got their first choice.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Top 3 Choices: 1-SNA, 2-SNFO, 3-Nuke

My 2 cents are, you may have shot yourself in the foot if you REALLY want to be in the air.....
If I were you and you didnt really care about your 3rd selection... I would take nuke off, else I have 10 dollars that says you will be selected for nuke.

want2beflyin

My 2 cents are, you may have shot yourself in the foot if you REALLY want to be in the air.....
If I were you and you didnt really care about your 3rd selection... I would take nuke off, else I have 10 dollars that says you will be selected for nuke.

I figured someone would say something about that. I intend on changing it sometime before the service selection packages are due. I learned last month that if nuke is in your top three then your ROTC unit is required to submit a nuke application on your behalf. With the amount of trouble they have filling all of the nuke slots each year, I don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

want2beflyin

I will also be up for service selection this year. Last year they selected two pilots out of ~40 Core options. We had one Core option from our unit who did service selection this past year, and he got his second choice (SNFO). He had a strong GPA ~3.7 (Biochem), not sure about his ASTB scores. As for me, GPA-3.72 (math), ASTB-6/7/6, Top 3-SNA/SNFO/SWO

I have heard mixed things about the selection process for Core options. I was originally told that we compete with the MIDN and then, a few months ago, someone told me that we only compete with other Core options. From your post it sounds like that latter of the two. Are you sure that is correct? Your GPA blows mine out of the water... I sure hope they select more than two Core options for pilot this year.

jhopp85

I'm up for service selection also. Just submitted my paperwork.

My stats:
GPA-3.7
(Aeronautics)
ASTB-7/7/8/60
1.SNA/2.NFO/3.SWO

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot

My stats:
GPA-3.7
(Aeronautics)
ASTB-7/7/8/60
1.SNA/2.NFO/3.SWO

Impressive scores, especially for Aero. I'm not a betting man but I would assume you have a pretty good chance at your first choice.

sweetnuts

My stats:
GPA-3.7
(Aeronautics)
ASTB-7/7/8/60
1.SNA/2.NFO/3.SWO

Submitted mine about a week ago. Word going around is that we should hear the results about a month earlier than they did last year, so sometime in September. Good luck.
GPA-3.7 (math)
ASTB- 7/7/6 (took it again)
Top 3-SNA/SNFO/SWO

sweetnuts

Are scores and GPA the only thing they look at?

Those are not the only things they look at, but they probably have the largest influence. Your CO usually writes some kind of short recommendation and you will also have the opportunity to write a personal statement. From what I have been told, all of your scores are used in calculating your order of merit and selection is largely based on that. Check out http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10620 for more info.