• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Application Process Contradictions

SkywardET

Contrarian
I know it's a little after the fact, but I'm wondering how everyone else has handled the contradictions in the application process for how to apply.

Specifically, the web site says that the application will consist of, among other things, a signed and dated Page 13 program understanding entry. However, the actual 1420 instruction clearly outlines the exact time to do the page 13 entry as after selection into STA-21.

Also, particularly with Pilot and NFO applicants, how did everyone reconcile the "no physical examination is to accompany the application" found in the CO's endorsement section with the mantra of actually doing a SNA physical exam before applying found in other areas?

skillz

I know it's a little after the fact, but I'm wondering how everyone else has handled the contradictions in the application process for how to apply.

Specifically, the web site says that the application will consist of, among other things, a signed and dated Page 13 program understanding entry. However, the actual 1420 instruction clearly outlines the exact time to do the page 13 entry as after selection into STA-21.

Also, particularly with Pilot and NFO applicants, how did everyone reconcile the "no physical examination is to accompany the application" found in the CO's endorsement section with the mantra of actually doing a SNA physical exam before applying found in other areas?

There is already a FY-09 STA-21 thread, should be moved.....Just working on my moderator quals ;)

SkywardET

Contrarian
Perhaps, though the contradictions in the instruction will apply to the FY10 applicants as well unless the instruction is updated between now and then.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
There is already a FY-09 STA-21 thread, should be moved.....Just working on my moderator quals ;)

Hmm, disagree, the FY-09 thread is huge, and I know I certainly don't read it anymore. This is a specific question wrt the process.

On to the post. When I was accepted I signed my page 13 at the unit I showed up to. However, that was four years ago, and things may have changed. Now, the physical. I would recommend that you get it done prior to being accepted. This way if you do have any hurdles that you need to go through it can be taken care of prior to any deadlines that may be thrown at you. Mine was fairly simple when accepted, now the commissioning physical, that's a another story.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I had a note on the website that said I needed to submit a pg. 13 for Core when I was selected for FY08 Pilot. I had already submitted one for Pilot since it was my primary choice, but they wanted one for core since it was my back-up. Other people I've talked to didn't have to do that. I guess the bottom line is, keep checking the website. If there is anything that they say is missing, get it and fax it down to them. I would also recommend getting the physical done ASAP so you can iron out anything that may pose a problem.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
I just submitted my package with Pilot as my primary and they said they wanted a core page 13 also.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I applied for Pilot and Core. I only applied for Core because the instruction says you should as a secondary. I understand if selected for Core I can still do the Pilot option with some more application work during ROTC. I signed both Page 13's for this application and the website shows I have everything required for a complete package. My fingers are crossed for the Pilot slot but will be excited if selected for either.

I completed my SNA physical (the medical/eye portions) prior to applying but didn't attach to my application. NOMI called me and told me they can't do anything with it until the results are out and I know if I am selected or not. Others have already suggested finishing your physical which is a very good idea. It took me almost 4 months total to finsih mine but thats partially my fault: school, work, flying (PPL), family, etc. If selected I have it done though and will send it off as required.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I don't know anybody who applied for Pilot and got picked up for Core. I honestly think it's just a formality. From my experience, if you apply for Pilot you either get picked up for Pilot or not at all.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I don't know anybody who applied for Pilot and got picked up for Core. I honestly think it's just a formality. From my experience, if you apply for Pilot you either get picked up for Pilot or not at all.

I know several, but that was a while ago.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I know several, but that was a while ago.

I don't doubt it at all, I was just sharing from my own experience. Of all the people that I know personally that applied for Pilot they either got Pilot or nothing. That includes everyone from my previous command and those that I spoke with at NSI. I know there are A LOT more people out there.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I have handled the contradictions by playing it safe. I took my SNA flight physical in October, before deployment, and I have submitted the Page 13 entry, following the website vice the instruction.

I hope that the instruction gets updated for the FY10 applicants.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
One of the glaring contradictions that threw me for a loop or two is the age requirement for the Pilot Option. Just to play it safe, I went with a major that would have me graduating by the age of 29.

IMHO, that's one thing that should be cleared up to lessen the confusion - change the NAVADMIN to reflect the MILPERSMAN.

*EDIT* The NAVADMIN says 31, and the MILPERSMAN says 29. Until we're told otherwise, I strongly suggest going with 29.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
One of the glaring contradictions that threw me for a loop or two is the age requirement for the Pilot Option. Just to play it safe, I went with a major that would have me graduating by the age of 29.

What did you do concerning an age waiver? It sounds like you will/did graduate after 27 so did you add a request in your application or do anything special to get around that 27 year requirement. Some say it automatically takes effect and some say you need to request a waiver.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Hmmmm....ac2, sounds like you've pointed out another discrepancy :D

I requested the waiver in my application letter. I can't say for certain (because I haven't dug up the 1420 lately) but I'm pretty sure that it states clearly to request the age requirement waiver in the package cover letter.

I personally respectfully requested the waiver in my personal statement for my STA-21 package and I strongly recommmend that anyone else applying that needs the waiver do the same in their personal statement.

*EDIT* I'm just starting college and turn 27 this year, so I needed the waiver. Now I'll be graduating by the age of 29.