• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Age Requirements

Tgoss21

I am glad that someone else has this problem! I turned 27 in Sept. and have about 120 college credits from prior college. I was selected for Pilot and knew I was giong to cut it close. The STA-21 website states no age waiver past 29 but they reference the OPNAVINST 1420.1A and if you read that it states that you can recieve a waiver until 31. Being a Navy pilot has been a life long dream and is getting closer to reality but I am fighting the battle of graduating the semester after I turn 29. When I brought it up to my Command they told me, "There is a waiver for everything, don't worry about it!" Any advice on this would be awesome. Thanks guys!

Tgoss21

STA-21 Pilot Age requirments!

:confused:
I turned 27 in Sept. and have about 120 college credits from prior college. I was selected for Pilot and knew I was giong to cut it close. The STA-21 website states no age waiver past 29 but they reference the OPNAVINST 1420.1A and if you read that it states that you can recieve a waiver until 31. Being a Navy pilot has been a life long dream and is getting closer to reality but I am fighting the battle of graduating the semester after I turn 29. When I brought it up to my Command they told me, "There is a waiver for everything, don't worry about it!" Any advice on this would be awesome. Thanks guys!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I've heard from some people too that dual majors are frowned upon...if they find out. So depending upon your unit and school they might force you to graduate early if the right person got wind of that.

They are frowned upon if they delay your graduation longer than a single major. I'm a dual major (International Business and Business Admin). They way I went about it was I convinced the CoC that I would be able to complete both degrees in the same ammount of time. I needed at least 5 semesters to graduate because of the STA-21 math reqirement and I would have had to take a bunch of classes that I didn't need in order to meet the 15 credit/semester requirement.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
They are frowned upon if they delay your graduation longer than a single major. I'm a dual major (International Business and Business Admin). They way I went about it was I convinced the CoC that I would be able to complete both degrees in the same ammount of time. I needed at least 5 semesters to graduate because of the STA-21 math reqirement and I would have had to take a bunch of classes that I didn't need in order to meet the 15 credit/semester requirement.

Well, I'm pretty sure YOU realized I was speaking generally and that everyone has different situations. So if you are able to make it work then more power to ya. I would do it if I could. But unfortunately it took me way too long to get into the program. So here I am just trying to make my own gig work out. :D

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I am glad that someone else has this problem! I turned 27 in Sept. and have about 120 college credits from prior college. I was selected for Pilot and knew I was giong to cut it close. The STA-21 website states no age waiver past 29 but they reference the OPNAVINST 1420.1A and if you read that it states that you can recieve a waiver until 31. Being a Navy pilot has been a life long dream and is getting closer to reality but I am fighting the battle of graduating the semester after I turn 29. When I brought it up to my Command they told me, "There is a waiver for everything, don't worry about it!" Any advice on this would be awesome. Thanks guys!

Well, I don't know since you didn't clarify, where your 120 credits are from but, most likely it won't mean squat. There are too many factors like Scoober said in one of my previous threads transferring credit is voodoo art. I have a few hundred credit hours and a degree is supposedly only 120 hours right. Well at one school, e.g. ERAU they are willing to give me about 96 where another school, Hampton U is willing to give 88. The specific numbers are insignificant because the fact is that with either one I need to meet ROTC requirements in the area of specific Naval Science courses. At both schools and I'm speculating it is the same at most universities the two senior NSC courses are given during Fall, and Spring. So no matter which school I choose I must attend the same amount of time despite the differing number of credit hours.

My point of this is to elaborate on the facts that college credit is not foolproof or written in stone. The other part of your question I think can be answered by other people. But I will say that I asked around with the same questions BEFORE I applied (here and here) and the consensus on the forum was that nobody had heard of a situation where someone had gone over the age limit cited in the milpers manual. So although I have lived my philosophy in the past "anything is waiverable" (and I've seen some crazy things waived in the past). When it comes to Naval Aviation they seem to have the luxory of being able to be picky about who they choose. So I would do everything I could if I were you to make a plan to graduate within the limits or I'd start working on your LDO package.

I'm not trying to be a downer but the reality is that it seems if you are going to make it happen it looks as if you are going to be in to some heavy college loads. I'm sure someone has done it in the pass so if you want it, go after it. Good look, and I'll see ya in Rhode Island with the rest of the bunch.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

I was picked up for STA-21 at age 25, graduated and commissioned at age 28, and I am currently about 2 months from getting my wings in Helos. I know 3 people who were told by their ROTC unit they could get a waiver for graduating/commissioning past their 29th birthday and didn't. They were not able to select pilot (One of them missed it by only 5 weeks). In my experience the age limit (27 for most / 29 for priors) is a hard ceiling. If you graduate one day past your 29th birthday, you can't be a pilot; one day past your 31st, and you can't be an NFO either.

Anyway, isn't the limit for STA-21 36 months in college? The intent of the program is for OCs to expedite their graduation. At least 12 credits per full semester (or is it 15) and either 6 or 9 credits during summers. Most ROTC units will ride you hard, if they think you are registering for classes in such a way as to delay your graduation. I have another friend who could have stayed 1 extra semester and earned an M.A., which would save the Navy money vs. sending him back for it later... but that's outside of STA-21 rules. Double majors / minors are only allowed if it takes no longer than your primary degree would have.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Just to add to what ETC posted:

I have over 100 credits from 3 different, but very credible universities. Of those I have been told no more than 31 credits will transfer. Also, they always tell Nukes how many college credits we are earning during the pipeline. Every school except ODU will not except Navy credit. They said everything I have learned is more like on the job training and not college credit. Just my experience.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just to add to what ETC posted:

I have over 100 credits from 3 different, but very credible universities. Of those I have been told no more than 31 credits will transfer. Also, they always tell Nukes how many college credits we are earning during the pipeline. Every school except ODU will not except Navy credit. They said everything I have learned is more like on the job training and not college credit. Just my experience.

Sally Struthers Correspondence University is NOT credible.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
On my placement info, it clearly states "MUST BE COMPLETED SCHOOL BY 13AUG07"
For me, its is a hard ceiling, and I have 4 semesters to get 49 credits. I'll be doing it in 3 semesters (12 Summer, 20 Fall, 17 Spring).

I heard from one prior STA-21 mustang that his friend went over the age/time frame, and was ok, but I'd assume it is more a case by case basis. I don't want to find out, but assume that 29 means your 29th birthday.

I'm in the exact same boat and time crunch as a few others, and due to this, I do not go to BOOST. Truthfully, I'd love the luxury of it, but it's not in the cards. I have 119 college credits after this semester, but only 87 are going to transfer into either school, including previous school and SMART transcript credits.
I just felt like adding my two cents and expressing my empathy over your situation. A couple of us old fart 27 year olds are under the gun!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
A couple of us old fart 27 year olds are under the gun!

This was the main reason I went for NFO vice pilot.. I wouldn't have had enough time to complete my degree requirements. Well, that and they normally have a very high selection rate for NFO's.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Well, that and they normally have a very high selection rate for NFO's.

Not this year, they only selected 20 NFO's this year (vs. 40 Pilots). I know a guy that got picked up for pilot last year but didn't get the PRK surgery done on time, got dropped, applied for NFO this year and didn't make it!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
What I meant was that it is normally a high selection rate versus the number of applicants.. as compared to pilot which usually has alot of applicants...

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
What I meant was that it is normally a high selection rate versus the number of applicants.. as compared to pilot which usually has alot of applicants...

How do you know how many applied for each option? They don't release those numbers, only the total number of applicants.