• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SRB / DCO

a_dub

"flank" speed
AW team - Hoping to find somebody who has gone through this or may just be an expert on it. Took an SRB at 18 years of service for 4 years which would have taken me to HYT for E6. When I mentioned to the NRC CCC that I was a DCO applicant, they casually said since its a competitive program and you're not yet selected not to worry, no recoupment, then I was selected for DCO 6 months after taking the bonus. A year later, the bonus shop called me, we had about a 3 min conversation culminating in "ok, if you dont hear from me you're good." Didn't hear from them. Another year later I see a debt on the LES. Working via my NRC CCC again after 2 months I've gotten nowhere, debt remains. So, my question is has anybody been in this situation, is there a waiver process (in my own mind the navy had me for only 4 more years, now they've got me 8+, yes I realize the bonus was for my NEC not the DCO). At the end of the day, if I have to pay it, I'm fine with it, but with conflicting wording across a number of milpers/navpers/dod instruction, it seems that may not be the case. Thanks.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
My input---If you're a clearance holder than I would just pay it and move on. You're probably gonna have to report it to your FSO/Security if this becomes too saucy. Can you escalate this to an internal Navy legal advisor? At least that shows the power in being you're addressing the concern during the meanwhile.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Per the PA for reserve intel (assuming you’re an 1835 glancing at post history), upon commission you owe the Navy 8 years of which the first 3 has to be SELRES, and 5 can be IRR.

Separately, if you didn’t finish out the enlistment term where you accepted a bonus for that re-enlistment, I imagine you would owe back the bonus. Maybe pro-rated, maybe not. Suggest you get your N1 team involved.

Last point, if you sought and accepted a commission knowing you only wanted to serve for 3-4 years… that’s not very long in “SELRES years.” It takes some reserve officers that long to get warfare qualified. Plus, you’re not going to max out your retirement if you punch out as a LTJG. Might as well ride it out to mid/late LT.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For the OP, read the bonus paperwork you signed. Should be cut and dry… usually bonuses are closely tied so even if you commissioned, you may be asked to pay back any unearned portion.

a_dub

"flank" speed
My input---If you're a clearance holder than I would just pay it and move on. You're probably gonna have to report it to your FSO/Security if this becomes too saucy. Can you escalate this to an internal Navy legal advisor? At least that shows the power in being you're addressing the concern during the meanwhile.
Not an issuing paying it back, happy to do so, just conflicting information. It won’t progress to any sort of sauciness.
Per the PA for reserve intel (assuming you’re an 1835 glancing at post history), upon commission you owe the Navy 8 years of which the first 3 has to be SELRES, and 5 can be IRR.

Separately, if you didn’t finish out the enlistment term where you accepted a bonus for that re-enlistment, I imagine you would owe back the bonus. Maybe pro-rated, maybe not. Suggest you get your N1 team involved.

Last point, if you sought and accepted a commission knowing you only wanted to serve for 3-4 years… that’s not very long in “SELRES years.” It takes some reserve officers that long to get warfare qualified. Plus, you’re not going to max out your retirement if you punch out as a LTJG. Might as well ride it out to mid/late LT.
The 4 year comment was referenced to the fact I had re-enlisted for 4 years maxing out my ability to serve enlisted (HYT for E6 is 22yrs), and now I’m 8+ of service ability, I will be staying in much past that even though I’m at 20 YOS. I’ve reached out to multiple NRC folks and haven’t gotten anywhere in the 2 months of calls and e-mails, thus reaching out to AW hoping somebody has been in a similar situation. I have many close friends who also accepted SRBs prior to commissioning and did not pay them back, some immediately, others 7-8 months after and others 1-2 years after reenlisting. A lot of inconsistency.
For the OP, read the bonus paperwork you signed. Should be cut and dry… usually bonuses are closely tied so even if you commissioned, you may be asked to pay back any unearned portion.
Read it, read other admin documents referencing bonus payment recoupment policy, which also mentioned waivers and forgiveness.

Thanks for the attention and input so far warriors.

vickey0070

Does repaying means with an interest owed, that is how things work in government sectors. I am interested to know.

JoeBob1788

OPNAVINST 1160.8B is pretty clear.

“(2) Members who reenlisted or executed an extension for SRB prior to applying for an officer procurement program requiring formal academic training will have remaining installments suspended as of their class convening date. For programs not requiring formal education, future payments are suspended as of the commissioning date.”

“(5) Requests for advance or remaining amount payments are not authorized for members selected to participate in any officer procurement program. Remaining SRB installments are forfeited for members appointed to commissioned officer status. Advance and remaining amount payments are discussed in paragraph 13.”

Note it says remaining payments are forfeited. Payments you have already received should not be affected.

You should not have to repay it. I researched this thoroughly, though I opted to apply for NFO prior to reenlisting. The 100k, 50k upfront bonus sounded great but I was already looking at a 2 year age waiver.

Last edited:

a_dub

"flank" speed
So an update. Although JoeBob above is right, OPNAVINST, MILSPERMAN, RESPERMAN and even some of the DOD instructions agree, there is a recruiting instruction that says if you serve less than 1 year in your rate, you owe it back, which is what this stems from...How do we have so many instructions allowing one thing, and one contrary, you've got me, classic navy. Anyways, I routed a request to SECNAV since thats what the 37 US code says to do requesting a debt waiver, which has been signed by NRC and routed up to CNFRC, who is the approving authority. Interestingly, 2 other DCOs I know who were prior Es, who also received a bonus, but served more than 1 year noticed a debt on their LES last month as well. Something must have triggered internally to start collecting. Since they are outside the 1 year, they've contacted the bonus shop and they're routing a correction, so be on the lookout or let your people know that is an option, don't just sit back and watch your paycheck go to an incorrect debt. I'll post an update once something comes back, whether successful or not.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
So an update. Although JoeBob above is right, OPNAVINST, MILSPERMAN, RESPERMAN and even some of the DOD instructions agree, there is a recruiting instruction that says if you serve less than 1 year in your rate, you owe it back, which is what this stems from...How do we have so many instructions allowing one thing, and one contrary, you've got me, classic navy. Anyways, I routed a request to SECNAV since thats what the 37 US code says to do requesting a debt waiver, which has been signed by NRC and routed up to CNFRC, who is the approving authority. Interestingly, 2 other DCOs I know who were prior Es, who also received a bonus, but served more than 1 year noticed a debt on their LES last month as well. Something must have triggered internally to start collecting. Since they are outside the 1 year, they've contacted the bonus shop and they're routing a correction, so be on the lookout or let your people know that is an option, don't just sit back and watch your paycheck go to an incorrect debt. I'll post an update once something comes back, whether successful or not.
1659793958072.gif