• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sprint work at OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullatina

I was wondering if part of the running while at OCS involved sprint work? If so, how often is it done and to what degree?

My gut instinct says there is sprint work there because several people I talked to in the past says the average run time drops approx 2min on the PRT by the time graduation rolls around.

Any insight would be helpful so I can get the wheels rolling a little faster a few days a week! Thanks in advance.

NavyNCSU

You often run sprints after returning from a 2-3 mile run. It was usually two or three days a week.
Before you go, definitely try to do some sprints after a long distance run if you can.

paullatina

Thank you for the insight. Sprints are something I know would help, but have been dreading doing. I guess its time to suck it up!

Are the runs at OCS typically 2-3 miles per day? I heard there are some longer ones, but it sounds like their not on a regular basis. Is that true?

Thanks again for your help.

jeric_k

Normal PT schedule from when I was there:

Monday - approx 2-3 mile run
Tuesday - circuits (8 count body builders, etc.)
Wednesday - PRT
Thursday - off (parade practice)
Friday - approx 2 mile run (shorter on grad days) easiest day
Saturday - longest runs, usually anywhere from 3-5 miles, sprints/lots of calinsthetics afterward worst day
Sunday - off

The runs are longer and at a faster pace as you progress through OCS. Also, some days you run in formation with your class and other times it is based on ability/PRT run time.

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
There aren't that many sprints involved at OCS as far as I can remember. You'll have to do the occasiaonal "Indian Runs." When you reach your last 2 weeks of OCS you'll be doing A LOT of sprints if you're a road guard. I suggest to work yourself at a 7 to 8 minute mile pace if you haven't done so. Just do not drop out of any runs, the DI's will give you hell for that because there is really no reason for you to drop out of them.

paullatina

Thanks for the great gouge. I'm doing a 7:40 - 7:45 pace for the first 2 or 3 miles then it drops to about an 8min mile after that. I'll try to step it up for these last few months, I realize it will only help. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.