• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sports supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
They are banned? Weird. Not doubting you, its just you'd think there'd be the whole standard "Don't Do Supplements" campaign to go along with it. At least it would be mentioned at a stand-down. What I meant by the testing comment is these kids applying for various programs don't need to freak out if they've used creatine or something. "Experimental Use of Protein Bars".....

Doc told me what he knew off the top of his head, but he was pretty emphatic about it. There is some pub that lists all the stuff that is banned (only a small part of the pub) and your Corpsman or Doc can show it to you, my old Doc showed it to me when I asked about Rogaine.

I saw an article in approach in the past year about supplements, talking about how their side effects apply in particular to aviators. It was written by a LCDR who was stationed down in Lemoore. He gave some of the centerfuge briefs and talked about supplements then too and their effect on your body, which can sometimes manifest themselves to a greater effect while you are flying or pulling G's. He used to be a weightlifter in Britian and he talked about some of the stuff he had taken while lifting.

As for the guys applying, I agree that they should not worry. Sorry if I scared any of them.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Aviator3000 said:
Andro doesn't even work man. It is all hype, and when a doc hears you are on it, he probably thinks it does almost the same thing as the juice. Don't even bother with it. Take extra zinc magnesium and vitamin B-6. These three taken together give your body what it needs to create more NATURAL testosterone. Trust me it works, also note if you are trying to build more muscle, do lots of squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. Heavy lifting raises your natural testosterone level. You will get strong as an oxe if you listen to my advice. Oh yeah and eat lots of protein!

Absolutely correct. Skip the andro. Heavy, massive lifts: squats (not leg presses), deadlifts, and bench presses cause up to a 35% increase in natural testosterone production. Make sure you get enough protein, get plenty of rest, take a multi-vitamin, and creatine works wonders (however the added weight will slow down your run times - also drink LOTS of water when taking creatine).

They seldom (if ever) test for supplements so you should be fine. However, my flight school roommate got bored flying Cobras and went to Med School after 10 years in the Corps - he is now a Navy flight surgeon in PCola and I will ask him.

PS: Never tell the docs anything. :)

CLAM97to99

I don't know if I agree with you on the Andro. But I actually haven’t taken it in a wile due to budget problems. Do they even ban creatine?

kevin

Andro(diol) can up testosterone levels only slightly. the body's hypothalamus regulates blood levels of testosterone, hence if you're putting exogenous testosterone (or precursors such as andro) into the blood stream (which happens since you're consuming it) the body will just slow down the natural production of testosterone. however, this takes several weeks, so during that lag time the level of testosterone will increase slightly. andro(diol) is better in this regard due to it's lack of conversion to estrogen. andro(dione) will make you fat as the body will convert it to estrogen. maybe you can even start pmsing (just kidding). true steroids are injected systemically to avoid negative feedback by the hypothalamus, and hence by-products can be tested for in the urine. i've heard of people on andro testing positive, but i think those stories are horse****. as mentioned, go with the squats, bench, deadlifts, and (got to disagree with 46 driver) leg presses. by the way, creatine doesnt put mass on- rather it provides more energy and explosive speed strength for the muscles = it will put mass on you indirectly, but this requires you work out like a beast in the gym and take advantage of it. if you're taking creatine and flirting with girls while you work out, it wont help much (flirt with girl AFTER). my 2 cents. and i think the only worthwhile supplements are creatine and hmb (steroids work quite well also- really well actually). honestly, the best thing you can do to increase mass and strength- find a great workout buddy.

PudriK

SCGA (VT-3)
CLAM97to99 said:
You have to tell me about these burning hoops. I was just about to mail in my physical info and was going to conveniently leave my tubes off. How did they find out you had them and what all did they make you do?

I had 'em put in twice when I was a kid, and my tonsils removed. I put it on my history form and the doc didn't look at it twice.

It's only one data point, but from my experience, don't sweat the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.