• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sports supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLAM97to99

I was wondering if any body knows the Navy’s policy on the use of sports supplements. I have been taking Androstenedione. Would the use of this or any other supplement effect my selection?

flyr534

phew, id keep that one to yourself man.... As far as flight docs go you dont take anything, never have, never will! My flight doc at primary was all for us working out and taking creatine and protien, but then again it all depends on the doc. Play it safe and lie if you have to. Remember, you are healthy and perfect in every way and you have never injested anything but meat and vegetables. The Navy is full right now so they are looking for reasons to get rid of people.

trvsmrtn

pilot
Prohormones aren't illegal in the service, but some CO's do frown on them. If you take them, use them properly and keep it to yourself. Prohormones are not steroids.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The fact that Andro has been banned by the likes of the NFL should send up a red flag. If possible, I'd try to get off the stuff.

flyr534

I dont know about other billets, but if you are trying to fly, DONT TELL THE FLIGHT DOCS ANYTHING. They are the enemy. And get off the stuff man. Its not a beauty contest in the service.

Aviator3000

Andro doesn't even work man. It is all hype, and when a doc hears you are on it, he probably thinks it does almost the same thing as the juice. Don't even bother with it. Take extra zinc magnesium and vitamin B-6. These three taken together give your body what it needs to create more NATURAL testosterone. Trust me it works, also note if you are trying to build more muscle, do lots of squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. Heavy lifting raises your natural testosterone level. You will get strong as an oxe if you listen to my advice. Oh yeah and eat lots of protein!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would differ as to the effectiveness of andro, but I'll second the others as to not telling the doc. Extra nutrients are great, e.g. protein supps, vitamins, etc, but some supplements like ephedra and the like could have some big physiological effects in the air. I wouldn't chance those, doc or not.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do believe that a lot/most? supplements are banned or they are in the process of being banned. I will ask my flight doc what the Navy policy is tomorrow.

The reason the Navy is really strict with medicines, and flight docs are sometimes the enemy, is that certain medicines have effects that would be very bad for a naval aviator. A good example is Rogaine (I don't have the full head of hair I used to, so I asked about it). Why the hell would Rogaine be banned? The medicine in Rogaine is minoxidil, which used to be a blood pressure medicine. I don't want the pilot next to me to have high blood pressure even before we take off.

Incidentally, the accident that started this policy was a Marine EA-6B accident in the Nimitz in 1981 that killed 14 people. The pilot was sick and had taken some cold medicines that contributed the accident. Incidentally, this also kick started the drug testing program because a good chunk of the deck crew killed popped postive for Marijuana.

CLAM97to99

Kind of on the topic of the Dr. being the enemy. When my dad was appling to the USNA he got NPQ'd because he broke his pinky toe.

navsup

BDCP Supply
CLAM97to99 said:
Kind of on the topic of the Dr. being the enemy. When my dad was appling to the USNA he got NPQ'd because he broke his pinky toe.

on this subject too, I had to jump through all kinds of burning hoops to get my application accepted because I had tubes put in my ears when I was 1 year old. I got in big trouble because I didnt list this under a surgical procedure. I got the lecture about not lying to the navy. How was I supposed to know that 45 second procedure was considered surgery, let alone the fact that I didnt remember having them.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I do believe that a lot/most? supplements are banned or they are in the process of being banned. I will ask my flight doc what the Navy policy is tomorrow.

Yeah, but it isnt like they're gonna start testing for them anyway. Standard mil urinalysis doesnt even check for steroids. The only way people get popped for it is if they show up for work 20 pounds heavier, zitty, and angry. Even then, it has to be ordered specifically by the command.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Yeah, but it isnt like they're gonna start testing for them anyway. Standard mil urinalysis doesnt even check for steroids. The only way people get popped for it is if they show up for work 20 pounds heavier, zitty, and angry. Even then, it has to be ordered specifically by the command.

I did check with my flight doc (forgot to post it here, sorry) and supplements are banned. He gave me a funny look when I asked about Andro and then proceeded to say that it was stupid to take it even if I was not on a flight status.

As for not testing for it, I have fortunately not been in a mishap but that attitude could come back to bite you in the ass if you are and they test you for the whole gamut of things. And it is not like there are whole lot of secrets on the boat/deployment. If you are using supps, people in your unit will probably know about it. I am not that hard up to look like Johnny Bravo.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I did check with my flight doc (forgot to post it here, sorry) and supplements are banned. He gave me a funny look when I asked about Andro and then proceeded to say that it was stupid to take it even if I was not on a flight status.

As for not testing for it, I have fortunately not been in a mishap but that attitude could come back to bite you in the ass if you are and they test you for the whole gamut of things. And it is not like there are whole lot of secrets on the boat/deployment. If you are using supps, people in your unit will probably know about it. I am not that hard up to look like Johnny Bravo.

They are banned? Weird. Not doubting you, its just you'd think there'd be the whole standard "Don't Do Supplements" campaign to go along with it. At least it would be mentioned at a stand-down. What I meant by the testing comment is these kids applying for various programs don't need to freak out if they've used creatine or something. "Experimental Use of Protein Bars".....

CLAM97to99

navsup said:
on this subject too, I had to jump through all kinds of burning hoops to get my application accepted because I had tubes put in my ears when I was 1 year old. I got in big trouble because I didnt list this under a surgical procedure. I got the lecture about not lying to the navy. How was I supposed to know that 45 second procedure was considered surgery, let alone the fact that I didnt remember having them.

You have to tell me about these burning hoops. I was just about to mail in my physical info and was going to conveniently leave my tubes off. How did they find out you had them and what all did they make you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.