• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sports / Activities?

Tennis21

Ok, im hearing that the NROTC scholarship is based on tons of things, but that sports and leadership activities are important, if not most.

I played 3 years of golf and 2 years of tennis.

Will those sports be ignored by a board?

Also I'm a treasurer and a co-chair in both of our school's SGA's.

But is treasurer going to hurt me, because I did not go for president?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The board doesn't ignore any productive activities you participate it. And being traesurer of an SGA is definitely not going to hurt you. It shows that you endeavour to take an active role in the leadership and running af an organization... plusses. Not running for prez isnt going to hurt you at all.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Your activities look fine. Make sure you are concentrating on your grades as well, especially science, math and computers.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
They are looking for well rounded people... what does that mean? Anyone can go and do well in school, if that is all they focus on. With you playing sports and being involved with clubs/student gov (leadership positions at that) all while doing well in school, you are showing that you are a well rounded individual.
So does that fact that you were not an all star line backer hurt.... no.

Good luck

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Science and math definitely... computers... meh... just be computer literate.

They recognize the fact that schools offer way more courses in Science/Math verses computers. They like to see some sort of interest in the computer area. Being computer literate helps a lot!

Tennis21

Yea, I got the computer literacy question in my interview.

Luckly, I did a P-Point Presentation in front of our school board to recieve a couple thousand bucks, because other than that I don't use them much outside the internet.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Luckly, I did a P-Point Presentation in front of our school board to recieve a couple thousand bucks, because other than that I don't use them much outside the internet.

If you've mastered the power point prestation, you'll fleet up to Admiral in no time ;)

sbpilot

Nozeman, would it help in the interview to tell the officer I was in a multimedia academy within my school that dealt with advanced programs? I think I forgot it in my application... :icon_tong

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Nozeman, would it help in the interview to tell the officer I was in a multimedia academy within my school that dealt with advanced programs? I think I forgot it in my application... :icon_tong

DEFINITELY MENTION THAT! That'll look really good on there.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think maybe you guys are getting a little too far down in the weeds about this computer stuff......I have seriously never been asked about my computer skills in the last 3+ yrs of NROTC, and it has never been an issue. Unless you have problems logging into the unit computer system (which ranks up there with fogging a mirror) and opening/saving word, .pdf documents, I think they will assume that you are fine. I guess it could be beneficial if you have aspirations of being the unit computer nerd (ISMO) which I would strongly recommend against

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Familiarity w/ computers is something they ask in the interviews now. That's why I mentioned it.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm with MIDNJAC on this one, too much familiarity with computers lands you a job as ADP Officer, and puts you one on one with those that know a little bit less about computers. uggh

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm with MIDNJAC on this one, too much familiarity with computers lands you a job as ADP Officer, and puts you one on one with those that know a little bit less about computers. uggh

Ok, you guys reallly aren't catching on to the point I am trying to make. In case you haven't noticed, the Navy is definetly focusing more on technology/math/science/engineering when it considers scholarships. It is to the point where they actually ask about your involvement w/ computers during your scholarship interview. I think being the ADP is a small price to pay....