• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spondylolisthesis: Anyone Heard of This?

zcbowers

I was recently selected for OCS and the SNFO program. I am a prior service Marine and the Doc there noticed I had Grade I Spondylolisthesis. This was waived at MEPS during my Navy Officer Phsyical because it was very minor and I was in good condition. They didn't really care and thought I was good to go for military service. I read up on the NAMI waiver guide and saw it can be waived for NFO's. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and had been able to get it waived during a flight physical.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Where did you read that it could be waived for NFOs?

The possibility of a waiver doesn't look so good. It is possible, however, so you owe it to yourself to continue forward with your goal(s).
I think the biggest issue is that NAMI, rightfully so, has concerns that the anterior (forward) displacement of one of your vertebrae would cause problems upon ejection. Not good for you if that displacement continues forward. It is possible, if you are (post surgery) asymptomatic, to be considered for a waiver.

WAIVER: CD with no waiver for non-designated personnel. For designated personnel, asymptomatic grade I spondylolisthesis is CD but may be considered for a waiver. Higher grades of spondylolisthesis or symptomatic grade I sponylolisthesis are also CD, but waivers may be considered on an individual basis. Patients who have had successful surgery and are currently asymptomatic may also be considered for waiver on a case by case basis.

zcbowers

Okay, I'm still learning and lacking on the understanding of terminology for the waiver. CD? I'm guessing designated personnel are the ones already winged? There are aircraft without ejection seats. Thanks for the info.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, I'm still learning and lacking on the understanding of terminology for the waiver. CD? I'm guessing designated personnel are the ones already winged? There are aircraft without ejection seats. Thanks for the info.

NFO primary is taught in the T-6, which has an ejection seat. If you can't sit in an ejection seat you can't go to NFO primary.