• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spirometry/athsma with NFO?

BUDU

Hello all,

I've been reading AirWarriors ever since I started applying for BDCP back in January. Bucknell University, Theatre/Economics major, 2.79 GPA, ASTB 59/7/8/7, applied for Intel/IW/NFO. Got my pro-rec for NFO three weeks ago. My processor told me last week I need to go back to MEPS for a spirometry exam to make sure I don't have athsma (the MEPS doctor decided it wasn't necessary during my initial physical and then the national office ordered it after my pro-rec). I haven't shown athsmatic symptoms since (according to the best of my memory/my medical records) the cutoff age, and they were always induced by seasonal allergies.

I'm feeling pretty good about the spirometry test since I haven't been prescribed an inhalor or had an attack since I was a kid (even then it was mild), and I didn't have any breathing trouble with the 1.5 mile run, so if I have signs of anything at allI think it would be mild/intermittent. However, my paranoid side (slash my side that's extremely ecstatic about a pro-rec and doesn't want anything to ruin it) is just wondering what the likelyhood of getting an athsma waiver specifically for NFO is should my results not be quite as golden as they'd like.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Whitingorbust

Here is a thread with a link to the medical guide: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139735

APPLICANTS: Waivers for applicants may be considered if all of the following are true:
1. The individual has been asymptomatic for a minimum of five years without medication.
2. Baseline pulmonary function testing (PFT) is normal
3. Methacholine challenge test is negative.

The Methacholine challenge test sucks, but once you get your results on that you should be golden.

Ajleger

Best advice I can give you is do good on the spirometry test :). I took it a year ago to get a waiver myself, and it's relatively easy (although it takes a couple tries to figure out exactly what it is you're supposed to do). I had asthma as a kid and did like 120% of normal on that test, I'm not sure what they consider normal (a 2 pack-a-day cigarette smoker?)

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
If you haven't needed an inhaler for years, INCLUDING during athletic activity, I wouldn't worry. I had the same kind of problem as a kid (though it was bronchoconstriction, not quite asthma). When I took a spirometer test as a teen the doctor asked me why I wasn't an olympic swimmer! I'll leave it to the others to answer what happens if your results aren't 100%, but chances are they WILL be.

BUDU

Thanks everyone. Waiting to hear back from MEPS for a date for the exam. In the meantime, background check is happening. And to think I thought the pro-rec was the last stop in the application process...

BUDU

Go back to MEPS on Monday morning, bright 'n early. Though I do love getting a hotel paid for since I'm driving from VA up to my NRD MEPS in Harrisburg. Makes me feel so dang special...

Interestingly enough, in my processor's initial email he wrote that it was just requested that I get a pre-/post-bronchodilator exam. Unless I'm completely lacking in medical knowledge, that's just the spirometer with and without an inhalor, right? No methacholine nonsense?

Oh, and ran 1.5 miles before dark, past cars, freshly cut grass, lawnmowers emitting fumes, with no symptoms (still getting into shape, though).

Ajleger

I never had to do the methacholine thing, although I've heard of others who had to. But if they don't ask for it, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can run with no symptoms and never use inhalers, you should be fine. The test I did was just to breathe as deeply and exhale as fast and hard as you can in one breath.