• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spekkio wants his weed...

navy09

None
-Sales would be more easily regulated.

-The government could still tax marijuana sold in stores.

I am just a libertarian.

I found this a little funny (and ironic). Still, those are good points.

I grew up in Northern California; the weed use is prolific and the truth is, it's not an evil substance. It doesn't seem to negatively affect people's lives when used responsibly- just like alcohol. My guess is that it won't be illegal for much longer (and in CA, it essentially is).

HueyCobra8151

pilot
midn09: In my book it wouldn't necessarily be regulated or taxed - but the government will absolutely do that. No way around it.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I tried marijuana when I was a civilian college student.

The only 2 Sailors I've thrown the book at as a Divo were because of illegal marijuana usage and "false official statements". In both cases, I busted them for the same reason: I couldn't trust them (and, also, the UCMJ requires me to report their violations). I would have done the same if they showed up to day check unable to function due to a hangover.

Ya'll can argue about the civilian regulations all you want. When it comes to active duty military behavior, there is no room for that bullshit. We lose fine military members for far less, and being a Sailor 24/7 is a sacred commitment. When lives are in your hands, it is a question of honor and duty.

I can understand not wanting to throw an E-3, who smokes dope once while not in a duty status, into Leavenworth. However, the type of person who directly disobeys a standard and widely-supported order required to maintain high standards and discipline when entrusted with the lives of fellow volunteers is worthy of the Big Chicken Dinner or worse.

I believe that those who have strapped themselves to JP-5 and 20mm rounds will understand the true meaning of "zero tolerance" and, as the world's best military, desire to maintain this standard in everything we do.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Exactly my point.

I've been in the Navy for 20+ years and the drug problem was horrible in the early eighties. They started out with the "Three Strikes and your out" policy, but it didn't curtail the use of drugs, it just slowed them down. Then the Navy got smart and adopted the "Zero Tolerance" policy that is in effect now.

You should always be prepared to donate your urine at a moment's notice.

Illicit drugs have no place in today's military.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Before that time, in the 70s, it was common practice to be subject to random urinalysis IF you were under the age of 36. I worked in the radar shop at AIMD. My shop supervisor, who was over 36, and others in the shope, used to brag about his weed stash.

I often wondered how many times he and the others worked on the HUD or the 126 radar while stoned.

I agree; illicit drugs have no place in today's military.

Cmaw50

This is an issue I feel adamantly about, drug use has no place in the Military no discussion needed. The fact of the matter is weed does have long term effects on people, I have witnessed many friends fall to the wayside because of pot usage. I would never trust someone trying to lead me, or providing CAS to me if they had recently done drugs. I’m proud that I have never used illegal drugs, and baffled by the lack of self control practiced by many in my age group. My advice to young people like myself, is learn some fucking self control, it really isn’t that fucking hard to not do drugs.

Clux4

Banned
What is the stance of most NATO countries and drug usage.
Is it ZERO tolerance across the board? It would be interesting to find out the effects of liberal drug policies.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
One thing that always bugs me about the "War on Drugs" is why did it take a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but not marijuana?
This is a good question. Drug laws were originally ruled un-Constitutional on the basis that there must be a victim in order for a crime to have been committed. The SCOTUS later changed their mind.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What is the stance of most NATO countries and drug usage.
Is it ZERO tolerance across the board? It would be interesting to find out the effects of liberal drug policies.

Zero tolerance for military? Or just in general? If you mean just in general, look no further than Holland and you know they are pretty liberal with their Mary J.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I got to thinking about what the Dutch military's rules on drugs are, and I couldn't find anything on google about it...but what I did find was a whole Boat Load of American Military Drug Tests People Are Trying to Cheat (Continued Ad Nauseum)

Like it or not, there are probably people you work with that are smoking weed...

Edit: Just to clarify so no one gets any sort of wrong idea. I am not advocating anything, I just found it interesting that while looking for what the rules for the Dutch military were on the subject, all I could find was a whole lot of American military service members who are apparently smoking pot.

smwatson82

I got to thinking about what the Dutch military's rules on drugs are, and I couldn't find anything on google about it...but what I did find was a whole Boat Load of American Military Drug Tests People Are Trying to Cheat (Continued Ad Nauseum)

Wow. The mind-blowing thing about every single one of those links you posted is that none of the potheads can spell, nor even form their communication using proper phrasing and grammar. If that type of shortcoming is standard among potheads, I certainly understand why the DoD isn't interested in employing them.