• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Speculation about mil. spending for Bush admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickou23

http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/jdw010103_2_n.shtml
quote: With the exception of championing a missile defence system when it's technically feasible, the Bush team has been quiet about its plans. Experts said they expect the new administration to cut a number of major programmes, such as the JSF, the Crusader mobile artillery system and some shipbuilding projects.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this.
Thanks,
Nickou

Tahoe

I wouldn't take much more than a glance at what they are saying here...the fact of the matter is having Bush in the White House is Great for the Military! Right now I work for a defense contractor in Minneapolis and we are building the above said Crusader System. I can tell you as a FACT that there are no plans to cansel the JSF or the Crusader System. The premise still remains that these and many other programs are essential to the military, in fact I would venture to say that our armed forces should be looking at a nice pay raise next year in the range of 7-8%. This time of year there is a lot of talk about where you can trim some fat off the budget and sometimes you'll hear negative remarks coming out of Congress about the amount of money that is being spent on development of these programs. I would conclude that you'll be seeing more spending as the Navy ramps up for the new DD-21 and all the new technologies that come with it..

-Tahoe..

Dave Shutter

Concur...while neither candidate offered any conrete plans, ideas or thoughts on how to handle current military issues such as morale, retention and readiness, Bush at least recognized that a problem existed.

I think one of the things that should be adressed, which can directly affect morale and retention, is the age of equipment. The only really new Navy aircraft coming out right now is the E/F, (and exactly how "new" of a design is it?) everything else in the air with the word NAVY painted on it is practically an antique, and that goes without mentioning aircraft that say MARINES on them. Even "new(er)" platforms like the Hornet C/D and Seahawk are nearing the 20 year mark in terms of age. The avg. timeframe for designing and building new platforms is always increasing, so what you buy today has to last much, much longer than what you bought a decade ago, and there are very few new designs on the boards (that I know of). Our men and women in uniform do a remarkable job of maintaining old and aging equipment but there are limits, and I think the outgoing admin' has pushed them far enough. New tires, an oil change and fresh paint can only do so much for a forty year old machine people trust their lives in. Bush may not do all he's promised (does any elected official ever anyway) but I believe he'll at least try to do more.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 01/09/2001 02:19:34

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What about my poor P3 passing the 35 year mark of service?? LOL

Tahoe

quote:
What about my poor P3 passing the 35 year mark of service?? LOL

You mean they STILLFly???

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
GEEZ!! Heckling from the cheap seats!!

Those grades made P3s possible... also, think of all the flight hours I will get with those 14 hour missions...

Speaking of jets, Matt should be wandering around NAS Jax now...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right now I am in week 3 of ground school for the P3. Today we covered half of the Prop System, we will finish the rest tomorrow. Then a day of systems trainers and then on to normal procedures. A long weekend to study, and my first exam (systems) on tuesday, oh joy.

Heard some jets fly over in class today, didn't sound like the whine of an S3, or the low roar of a P3, so might have been Matt's DET here at Jax, need to go take a look down the flight line tomorrow.

Outside of some civilian flying that I have been doing on the side in a trusty Piper Warrior, I haven't flown since before October for the Navy!! Ouch! Should start FAM flights for the P3 in early February after I finish ground school and the CPTs/SIMs.

Been kicking around the idea of getting checked out in a Seneca, and get some twin engine time under the belt. Worth it for a nice weekend get away, and log some instrument time to brush up on my IFR. Picked up the AIM/FAR over Xmas and tried to make sure I hadn't "forgotten" anything.

Anyone have thoughts on any other planes worth getting checked out on?

Probably nothing near as exciting as what Matt has to say, though I have some "there I was stories" from Advanced, nothing like a couple cases of streaming fuel, some funny things that instructors did to me during my RI Review stage prior to my NATOPs Instrument Check Ride, and of course my favorite, hydroplaning a T44 (King Air) on a touch and go and providing an IP with his scariest moment as an instructor. And no, I didn't get downed on that one! I will save those for later.

The only story I have to tell for my time here is how basically clueless I am when it comes to P3 systems. I thought that the fire hose effect that I have encountered during the past year and half of flight training was rough, but I must say that the front loaded P3 FRS takes the cake. Just WAY too much to take in at once, so you just have to focus on the LIGHTs, LIMITs and PROCEDUREs, and pray that you pick up some of the rest as time goes by. LOL Back to studying so I don't drown under the hose.

All kidding aside, really looking forward to flying the P3, and of course rigging some ships at 300' baby!

Dave Shutter

Cool...I never get tired of reading about the real thing. I distintly remember being onboard a P-3 at the Willow Grove air show (I should send those pics) and looking at all the stations onboard. Granted it all looked like was sixties and seventies technology, (with 90's upgrades under the hood I'm sure) but I kept thinking to myself: (especially in the cockpit) Wow! did John step in a big pile of sh*t, having to learn this monster!

quote:...in a trusty Piper Warrior...

I LOVE THAT PLANE, I flew one in high school when I took lessons, I have about 20 hours and a solo in it.

quote:GEEZ!! Heckling from the cheap seats!!

...touche'...

GO RAIDERS!

D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds as if John has the classic JO "deer in the headlights" look about him . Oh boy. And the fun has only begun.

Oh John, btw. If you'd like to make flying a little cheaper when you rent, you might want to think about finding someone to act as a safety pilot for you. Although, you don't need one legally since you are instrument rated, it does cut your cost of the aircraft (in half you choose to split it that way with the other guy) and both pilots can log the time as PIC (pilot in command). The only requirement for the other guy is that he has his private pilot certificate, nothing more. It's actually a bonus for him too cause he gets to see someone else going through the IFR procedures. But that's just an idea for you to keep your IFR skills sharp if you wish.

--Steve

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 01/11/2001 22:24:53

Status
Not open for further replies.