• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spectacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
It seems that I'm just full of OCS questions...

Since I have no desire to destroy my nice pair of glasses while being abused by DI's, should I get a cheap pair of glasses before I arrive in P-Cola, or will the Navy issue me a pair of the infamous "birth control" variety?
-A
magnify_125.gif

Ummm...yeah

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Oh believe me, they'll be happy to issue a pair of the BCG's. Most people dread wearing them, so they love to issue them.

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Are you required to wear glasses during training if you don't have 20/20 vision? For instance, I am only slightly nearsighted, so I don't even wear glasses unless I have to see something that's really far away.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
You wear glasses if you want to. They will not force you too, but some of the classroom instruction you will have to read stuff on the board that may be too far away for you. As for getting new glasses, they did not issue me any BCD's nor did they ask me if I wanted them (Unlike boot camp). I had a nice pair of civilian glasses that I wore throughout OCS, but I had to wear a "geek" strap to hold them inplace. (Believe me you need them held in place while you are sweating like a pig in the push up position. nothing sucks more that having your glasses slowly slide to the tip of your nose and you don't dare move your hand to correct that :)

solenita72

SWO Wife
Contacts are allowed later in the OCS period. I think my husband started weraing them once he was a candi-o, but I think that you can wear them a bit earlier than that. He took his good pair of glasses, and one pair of not so good glasses. He wanted no part in the bc glasses!

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Those lenses that become darker in sunlight, and lighter indoors are photochromatic lenses.
-A

Ummm...yeah

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
Some guys wore contacts the whole time at OCS; however they are technically not allowed. If you want to spend that extra time in the bathroom in the morning fooling around with them then I guess you can, just keep in mind you will be very busy in the mornings.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
For the 'glass-wearing' Marines out there, at OCS did you take a pair of your own and get to keep it that way with the "geek" strap? Or did they make you wear the BCG's? Did anyone attempt to wear contacts throug any part of Marine OCS? Where do you get the "geek" strap? Thanks.

jeric_k

I wouldn't bother trying to wear contacts during OCS. it's not worth the time and hassle until candio phase.

you can get a geek strap either at Sports Authority or at the NEX. and although it looks stupid, it really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.