• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spatial Help

hiwese1

I took the test and didn't get the score that I wanted. I had the Arco book and could do all of the problems for the spatial fast and accurate and then only got a 4 of the FOFAR section. I don't know if I rushed myself or what.

Is there any better study method then the Arco book because the questions on the test were way more advanced than the Arco had.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
hmm. I recall using the cliff's notes book to study, and when I took the test, it was much easier than the book. I guess try another book like cliff's or try reading through pilot books. Another tip for these tests (if the written version) is to only mark the correct bubble, then after about 10 are marked, bubble them all in. This saves quite a bit of time over bubbling each one as you go along. I would say for the spatial section. Immediately figure out your guess, mark it and when you're done go back and check them all.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Best way to do the spacial: use your hand.

You will be looking at land, water, or a combo of the two. Let the desk represent land, the floor or whatever the water, and make your hand the airplane. It really helped me out when taking the test....and everyone in the office looked at me like I was crazy when doing it!

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I agree with the original poster. Those spatial questions on the real exam are brain busters.

Pretty much all you can do is look at the one tiny area of land or sea that you can see in the corner and do the standard "banked left, climing, out to sea" method.

I'm convinced that a lot of the people who get 9s just got lucky on a few spatial questions. All you can do if you're not Einstein is just narrow it down to 2 possible answers and guess. That's why you have to look at all the answers before you pick one and move on.

snake020

Contributor
I think I had trouble differentiating between banked and level vs climbing. Those pictures really suck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Microsoft Flight Sim....All I could think about when I took the test was geeez...all that Flight Sim paying off. Put yourself eyes closed in an unusual attitude open your eyes and without referencing the gyro recover.

borinf2d

T-Bone
A trick I used with banking climbing and decending:

If it is a level turn the horizon makes a sky/ground on each side of the block. If looking at bottom left portion of ground, look at the top right portion of air. If the line on the side of the box is equal for both of these, then it's level. You can then use the same thing for climbs and descents, except these two pieces that were equal, are now different one line is longer, and the other is shorter. It's hard to explain, but just look at what portion the edge of the box is sky and land.

wrk

Microsoft Flight Sim....All I could think about when I took the test was geeez...all that Flight Sim paying off. Put yourself eyes closed in an unusual attitude open your eyes and without referencing the gyro recover.

Ditto on that

I used to use MSFS constantly from about 7th grade well into high school. I played a ton of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat as well. When I took the ASTB freshman year of college I had absolutely no problem with the spatial portion, in fact I was puzzled then and I'm still puzzled as to how people can think that part is hard. I'd have to say it's all the flight sims and general interest in all things avation that helped me on that part.

Side note, back when I was playing MSFS in 7th grade the whole program fit on to a 3.5" floppy. There was actually room for more stuff because the app was only about 700k. Crazy.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with the original poster. Those spatial questions on the real exam are brain busters.

Pretty much all you can do is look at the one tiny area of land or sea that you can see in the corner and do the standard "banked left, climing, out to sea" method.

I'm convinced that a lot of the people who get 9s just got lucky on a few spatial questions. All you can do if you're not Einstein is just narrow it down to 2 possible answers and guess. That's why you have to look at all the answers before you pick one and move on.

No, I think I got 9's because I knew what the hell I was doing. Knowing addition and subraction, how to read, and some basic common sense helped as well.

hiwese1

I just want to say thanks for the advice. I would think that by now we would have a study guide that would have harder angles and some closer examples as the test.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
See if these help

Attachments

• spatialapperception copy.jpg
    spatialapperception copy.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 86
  • spatialapperception1.jpg
    spatialapperception1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78

gaetabob

pilot
some might say i put a little too much effort into the spatial section, but what i did was copied from the study guide the question pics and the answer pics, and then made flash cards with them. On the answer side of the flash cards i had both the pic that was the answer and the written explanation of what the plane was doing. I then spent a week basically memorizing it all. It helped me a lot...