• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spatial Apperception plane

ItsTurboTime

I specifically remember one spatial apperception question that I still swear to this day did not have a correct response.

Wingnut

Kill your television
My feeling on the ARCO practice spatial apperception versus the real thing was that if you did well with the ARCO you'd probably be ok on the actual test. I would agree that there are a couple that are particularly tricky, although I can't think of any that seemed impossible. Probably one of the best things about the ARCO manual is that you can sit down and figure out what techniques work for you and apply them to the ASTB when you take it. Like I've said, I didn't feel it was too much trouble for me, I guess I've always been a visual sort of person, but if you do run into trouble you probably won't have nearly enough time to come up with something to help you get your mind around it. I think the spatial apperception section of the test is one that almost anyone could get decent scores on, but it wouldn't surprise me if a fair number of people who come into it cold tend to bomb out. This does not necessarily mean they're not cut out for it, it's just one of those things that it helps to get a feel for before actually doing it. Also, I feel that the ARCO book was only marginally helpful to me other than the spatial apperception part. It's worth looking through, but some will find it more useful than others.

yecats99

Todd, if you haven't taken the test yet, get a little study guide from the library or go to a book store and study the guides at their little latte grande venti blah blah cafe to save some money. Their should be numerous kinds of spatial apperception exercises. There are some with props and if you do the AFOQT practice test, there will definitely be one with jets. Try them both, but be careful because a couple of the ARCO books that I practiced with had a 1 or 2 wrong answers in the back. On some of the gouge on this site, there's a little tutorial that lists the steps to take in order to determine the attitude of the plane. For me, the easiest was determining bank, pitch, and then direction. Good luck!

Stacey

Wankertank

Free Hat!
I took form 5 of the ASTB...heard it was the hardest...Im not sure..and the spatial appreciation section had an F/A-18 w/ drop tanks and ordinance.I guess it was trying to bomb that ship out in the water.

They way to ace the section is to definently get a system that works well and also doesnt take too much time, as I had a problem with running out of time. You need to finish each question in about 30 seconds to have enough time to finish it all.

Good Luck!

nugget81

pilot
Wankertank said:
I took form 5 of the ASTB...heard it was the hardest...Im not sure..and the spatial appreciation section had an F/A-18 w/ drop tanks and ordinance.

That's interesting. I took form 5 and it had the F6F Hellcat. When did you take it? Things may have changed since I took it a year ago Jan.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
I took it in Oct. of '05, and I definently remember being surprised that an F/A-18 was the plane of choice rather than the prop aircraft i was used to seeing on all of the practice tests.