• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spacial Aperception

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Is there anywhere else to get practice questions for this part of the test? I got 26 out of 27 right in the Arco book (actually I think the one I got wrong is a typo because there is more water than land yet the answer claims the plain is climbing). However, I remember the questions being much more difficult on the actual test. Is there anywhere to get additional practice SAT problems?

BoxerCLC

All the other flight aptitude books have practice problems, as well as the spacial apperception hand out. Just try to create a series of steps that work for you. For example: step 1: how is the plane banking? step 2 is it climbing or decending.

Stuff like that.

Do you think the formula I used in my other post is accurate in determining test scores??

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I didn't see it. I have the handout and there are only like 4 practice ones in there as well. I guess that is all I will have. I got a 34/35 in the Arco book but like I said, that is much easier than the actual exam from what I remember. I think I will be alright though. Question however: The handout mentions baby banks and big banks (12 and 45 degrees, respectively), how can you spot one from the other? Also, the handout says to use the center of the picture, not the center of the frame, when figuring out the direction of the plane (rule 3), what do they mean by the center of the picture?

BoxerCLC

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11339
This is my post, tell me what you think.

To answer your post.
Use the horizon to tell what the degree of bank is. If the horizon is only slightly slanted, it is a baby bank. But if the horizon cuts the frame into halves, it is a 45 degree bank.

I'm not sure what they mean by center of the picture, I took the test monday and I didn't think the S.A was that difficult, the trick is just try and visualize the direction and bank of the plane just by looking at the picture. Try and mentaly zoom out of the cockpit and view the same imagine from a 3rd person point of view; and then match up that mental image with the possible answers. I found this to work much easier than any of the "tricks"

About the direction of the plane, I just look at the picture and thought, "The land is to my right and the water is to my left." Then I just found the picture who had land on his right and water on his left.

dufault.2

E6286 said:
However, I remember the questions being much more difficult on the actual test.

Just remember, it's all relative. I don't remember exactly how the ARCO pics and the ASTB pics differed, but I know they did. The test may have changed since I took it 3 years ago, so this post could be totally useless.
My take on the SA portion of the test was this: you know you can't see the actual pictures until you open the book, right? So once the test starts, give a number of pics a quick scan and determine right off the bat what constitutes a nose up or down attitude and a slight or large angle of bank.

The test questions shouldn't be any harder than the ARCO questions, just know what you are looking for and you should be alright. I know this wasn't the question that started the thread, but maybe you'll find it helpful in the absence of extra SA questions.

Good luck.

DairyCreamer

Honest to god, the best tool on earth for spatial apperception is M$ Flight Simulator.

You can change between different viewpoints in and outside your aircraft and compare what you're seeing in the cockpit to how the plane looks from the outside. You can make up just about any attitude you want.

Pick an airport along a coastline that's fairly straight (FLL or most Florida costal airports work great). Then blast around in the cessna or something at a 90 degree angle to the coast (initally), and start banking. See how the horizon changes. Then pause in place and change views to outside the aircraft. Rinse and repeat for approaching the coastline from land or sea at various other angles. Play until you can visualize it all in your sleep.

It works perfectly, and there are any number of combinations of direction, bank, and pitch (the 3 things SAT tests) you can play with. This technique (along with ARCO) helped me get all but 1 on the SAT with time to spare.

~Nate

nugget81

pilot
The easiest and quickest way to answer all the questions correctly is to use the center of the picture. Literally take your finger or a pencil and place it in the center (half the distance from top to bottom, and half the distance from left to right, exactly in the middle for those who cannot understand where the center is). If the horizon is above your centerpoint (i.e. the pencil) then the airplane is diving. This applies even if the horizon is banked.

Horizon above center- diving; Horizon on center - level; Horizon below center - climbing.

As for banks, the ASTB does not ask for "baby banks" or "big banks", only left or right.

Personally I don't think that the spatial apperception stuff looks the same as the view from the cockpit...

BoxerCLC

ASTB throws a few 45 degree banks in there.
Whatever method you choose, try and keep it simple and not too complicated.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The easier way in my view is just figure which way it is banked. That usually cancels all but one or two. Then figure if it is going out to sea or not. That will always get the right answer. The pitch is the most difficult to tell so look for that last. So the formula goes bank, direction (going out to sea or not) and then use pitch last. I had over 500 hours of cessna time when i took it and the pitch of the planes is very hard to figure out. Worked for me, got 7,9,7, sorry for bragging but proves it worked for me on that part.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So basically I have no way to prepare now that I did the arco questions and I should just calm, prepare for the aviation/nautical information sections, and take the test friday..........

BoxerCLC

mules83, your method is probably the best to use. It's what I did.
Many people are making the S.A portion much more difficult that what it really is.

KBayDog

E6286 said:
So basically I have no way to prepare now that I did the arco questions and I should just calm, prepare for the aviation/nautical information sections, and take the test friday..........

Yes and no. Don't just do the ARCO questions; STUDY them. Don't just say that "the plane is at ___ AOB..." Figure out WHY the plan is at the AOB. Even though you took the practice test and know the answers, there is nothing preventing you from analyzing the crap out of each one. If you start slowly and work on "speed with proficiency" (as the MACE bubbas like to say), you will think quickly on test day.

VAmookie

Go buy yourself an original nintendo for like 20 bucks and get captain skyhawk or something of that nature. Seems like everyone i know has given credit to video games for their success in spatial aperception

E6286

OCC 191 Select
lol. Is microsoft flight sim. worth it? I have the exam friday so I don't even know if I could figure how to use it by then lol.....

Status
Not open for further replies.