• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Force

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couldn't the same have been said though about the Army Air Force...?
No. Different scale and different compatibility to current mission of the parent services. The creation of the USAF also so took place during a major inflection point in how our military and IC was organized, structured and resourced under National Security Act of 1947. That is not true today.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The USAF was doing just fine defending our assets before those exact same people switched uniforms and continued doing the exact same job... except now they have a whole other bureaucracy to feed with precious DoD dollars. So, no... not better.

I work with some and am still trying to figure out just what the hell they are doing differently, they are too. The fun part is that they don't and likely never will control a significant portion of DoD space assets.

Random8145

I work with some and am still trying to figure out just what the hell they are doing differently, they are too. The fun part is that they don't and likely never will control a significant portion of DoD space assets.
Well to be fair, they are just getting started, so there probably won't be much difference between what they were doing in the Air Force versus now as Space Force.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Well to be fair, they are just getting started, so there probably won't be much difference between what they were doing in the Air Force versus now as Space Force.

No, you aren't paying attention. Go back to my post. They're statutorily kept from controlling the major space assets. The other agencies aren't going to give them up.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
No, you aren't paying attention. Go back to my post. They're statutorily kept from controlling the major space assets. The other agencies aren't going to give them

Doesn’t the Space Force control all satellite communications now? My understanding is the individual services may own the hardware but the USSF has a very large hand in operating them.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I have yet to hear a good rationale for the Space Force. Better idea would have been (maybe) a Space Corps within the AF. Even that seems pointless. And holy shit the uniforms look dumb.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Couldn't the same have been said though about the Army Air Force...?
I had a guy make a very persuasive argument that air power is a reallly just indirect fires which fits well with the army’s mission. Probably a stretch, but an interesting argument.

Random8145

No, you aren't paying attention. Go back to my post. They're statutorily kept from controlling the major space assets. The other agencies aren't going to give them up.
Does this effect their ability to protect said assets? I know (well my understanding is) the gist was given space's importance and with so many agencies and branches having space hardware, the idea was to centralize the protection of such.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I have yet to hear a good rationale for the Space Force. Better idea would have been (maybe) a Space Corps within the AF. Even that seems pointless. And holy shit the uniforms look dumb.
Isn’t that what the Space Force is? Department of the Air Force -> Space Force? Kinda like Department of the Navy -> USMC?

taxi1

pilot
Isn’t that what the Space Force is? Department of the Air Force -> Space Force? Kinda like Department of the Navy -> USMC?
From the Space Force web "about us" page...

The United States Space Force is a separate and distinct branch of the armed services, organized under the Department of the Air Force in a manner very similar to how the Marine Corps is organized under the Department of the Navy.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Doesn’t the Space Force control all satellite communications now? My understanding is the individual services may own the hardware but the USSF has a very large hand in operating them.
They are slowly getting there - @Flash comments above are not entirely accurate. USSF has significant operational control over assets based at Davis Mothan AFB, Greeley ANGB, Buckley AFB, and others . . . . not to mention other NRO and ADF facilities.