• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Available Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cierno31

This probably doesn't belong in this forum, but if anyone would know something about space available travel it would be people in the aviation community. How does it work? Is it reliable? I'm tired of paying a ridiculous amount on flights home for leave. I'm in the Navy and my SLPO told me that you could be on layover for a couple of days and it is too risky. Does this sound true? Do you have to fly between the same military branch airstation or can you fly from say a Marine Air Station to a Navy or Air Force Station? I tried to do some research on the subject but there are so many websites and I didn't know which one to trust. Any information will help. Thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Space A is chancey at best. You check out on leave, and go sign in at the Space A desk at whichever air field you are at (AF, Marine, Navy). Depending on which category you are in, and of course seats available, determines where you fall out. I believe active duty on leave is cat 3, EML is cat 2, on orders is cat 1.

Ok, so you get the flight to a destination, once you land, you put yourself on the list for a return flight, and of course find out when/if any flights are going back in the same direction.

Some locations have constant flights going back and forth, for instance, Hickam to Travis.

Also, spouses can travel without you, just need to get a letter from your command.

I will see if I can dig up some more info on this.

John

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks, it seems to fit my present predicament and mindset... had to get rid of the old one of the P3 since its been 5 months since I have been in the cockpit, sigh...

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Here's a quick story of my one and only Space-A adventure ...

I needed to get from Norfolk, VA to the Seattle, WA area. I had very little money, and was trying to make a wedding (both very bad times to travel Space-A).

Boarded a flight supposed to take me (and four others) from Norfolk to San Diego, with a stop overnight in Willow Grove, PA. Imagine our suprise when we awake in PA to find the plane nowhere in sight. The plane has headed to Florida to do something more important, and by the way, no other flights scheduled to go out for at least a week.

The nearest place to catch Space-A flights is Jersey, so the four Officers rapidly jump in a cab leaving me to suck wind. I convince the duty driver to give me a ride up to Jersey, which is awesome. I meet up with the Officers who show great concern for my wellbeing.

From Jersey I find a plane headed to McChord AFB, which is perfect. We stop in Mountain Home, Idaho to pick up some equipment. The equipment can't be loaded on the plane, so they inform us that the plane will be stuck there indefinately. The nearest civilian airport is Boise, which is a long way away, and no luck with the duty driver this time. Suddenly the plane fixes itself and we get to McChord, yeah!

Now, the trip back was less eventful. The plane I got on was headed to Dover, Delaware, where (the flight crew assured me) lots of planes headed down to Norfolk. We get to Delaware, the flight crew disintegrates, leaving the pilot and me there and the field a ghost town. Luckily the pilot was cool enough to give me a ride to the local civilial airport, where I had missed the flight to Norfolk, couldn't rent a car (too young), so had to get a hotel room for the evening.

The next day I bought a commercial ticket to get back to Norfolk before my leave ran out.

In short, mine was a nightmarish experience that now I would expect, but back then I had not counted on at all.

Total saved: One return trip airfare.

Total cost: One night in the BEQ, one night in a hotel, one one-way plane ticket, and four days of travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.