• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

South Korea to sell Garands and Carbines back to US

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I love it. We give 'em the rifles/carbines ... now they sell 'em back to us. Typical ...

I've got one ROK Garand, had it for years -- it's the shittiest one in my mucho grande Garand collection ... just a very early serial # -- that's about the best thing I can say about it ... unfortunately it's not 'collectible' as it's not all 'original' ... just a very nice shooter.

The original stock was severely fucked, so I replaced it w/ a 'correct' period stock ... same for the ROK shot-out barrel, operating rod, and some other misc parts
-- do those lil' guys EVER clean their pieces ... ???

I've passed on several Blue Sky Garands and Carbines over the years ... they've just been too beat up to do anything with ... and better choices were out there for collections (obviously) and straight shooters.

BUT: maybe w/ a boat load of 'em coming back to Momma ... comin' back to the Land of the Great PX ... their might be something worthwhile in the mix.

Make that: IF the current cabal of gun banners temporarily 'in power' doesn't get hold of them first ...they'd L-O-V-E to crunch those 'assault' Garands and Carbines ...

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
86,000 Garands
22,000 Carbines

Does anyone have an idea how much these are going to go for? The site I buy most my stuff from (aimsurplus) is selling Garands for $1,000 and Carbines for $800, I might consider picking one up if they were going for less than that.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Does anyone have an idea how much these are going to go for? The site I buy most my stuff from (aimsurplus) is selling Garands for $1,000 and Carbines for $800, I might consider picking one up if they were going for less than that.

You need to check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I got my M1 Carbine from them for ~$520 shipped to my door. She came in pretty good shape too, stock is just a bit beat up.

CaptWSims

I love it. We give 'em the rifles/carbines ... now they sell 'em back to us. Typical ...

These carbines are NOT being sold back to the United States...they are being returned to the US Army, and in turn released to CMP.

Based on pics I've seen of ROK carbines, many will be "Rack Grade", which means they are functional but have had a hard life and typically have muzzle barrel erosion of 3 or more. I could not tell from pics the condition of the barrels or crown, but did see the stocks were crapped out...numbers and letters and symbols painted on and generally beat up.

I've had 2 carbines from CMP--1 was returned from Austria and had barely been used (or perhaps not used at all) since rebuild at Augusta Armory, and have beautiful walnut stock. It had been shipped to me by the CMP South store in Anniston, and they did pick out a beauty. Only flaw was that it wasn't quite as accurate as the carbine I already had.

I sold the Austrian carbine for $600 to pay for 1/2 of a new Armalite AR15A4 National Match rifle.

The other, more acccurate carbine was a return from the Greek Air Force Security Forces, and had parkerizing worn thin, but was apparently carried but not fired much, as muzzle barrel erosion was "good as new", and it is a 2 MOA shooter. I hand-picked it from the CMP Store in Anniston, AL.

My experience is that if you buy a "Service Grade" rather than "Rack Grade" rifle from CMP you will get a very nice, functional rifle with acceptable stock. I expect they will continue to uphold their standards with the Korean rifles and carbines, so "Service Grade" might become hard to get!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
These carbines are NOT being sold back to the United States...they are being returned to the US Army, and in turn released to CMP....

WOW ... so I guess that makes 'em free, yea-as???

AFP said:
... SEOUL (AFP) South Korea's defence ministry said Wednesday it plans to raise tens of millions of dollars by selling more than 100,000 ageing US-supplied rifles to gun enthusiasts in the United States.... "Importers are very interested in them as many Americans want to buy them as curios for their collections," an unidentified military official was quoted as saying.
Who said the U.S. gov't is buyin' 'em??? If 'we' -- i.e., 'gun enthusiasts' in the U.S. -- have to pay for 'em, the $$$$$'s going somewhere -- and I would suppose if someone's sellin' 'em, once again the $$$$$'s going somewhere ... so hmmmmm, let's see ... someone's sellin' 'em and someone's buyin' 'em ... but they're 'not being sold back' ... that's either pure f'in magic or do you have a better program that you're not telling the rest of us poor slobs about ... ???

Please share ... :)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
i just hope they send some of the ammo this way

I just had 1500 rounds of 30 Cal Carbine ammo from the CMP show up on my front door. (That sounds like a lot but it won't last long with 3 Carbines in the family.) VERY reasonably priced compared to the current street price but I had to wait forever. I ordered it back in April I think. It was worth it though. $465.00/1500 + $26.85 shipping.

They still have thousands of cases on order but have stopped taking new orders until the back log clears a bit. It will come back around.

the $$$$$'s going somewhere ... :)

As you know, but others may not....profits from the CMP go for the promotion of civilian marksmanship in the US. Imagine that......;)