• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

South Korea blames the North for sinking its ship

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Looks like North Korea is looking to rattle the saber even more... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...-sinking-of-south-s-ship-won-t-apologize.html

Not to be overly dismissive of what I'm certain is a big deal to the diplomats and military highers-up, but they do this every time and nothing ever comes of it. I remain, as ever, underwhelmed by North Korea's whineyness.

That said, I'll never toss a 'put up or shut up' their way, because thats one country I would just as soon simply ignore so as not to be responsible for the reigniting of the Korean War.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_100722-N-0000X-001.jpg

100722-N-0000X-001 PYEONGTAEK, Republic of Korea (July 22, 2010) Sailors assigned to the aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) and Carrier Task Force (CTF) 70 look at damage to the Republic of Korea corvette (ROKS) Cheonan (PCC-772). The ship sank March 26 near Baengnyeong Island. The Republic of Korea and the United States are scheduled to conduct the combined alliance maritime and air readiness exercise "Invincible Spirit" in the seas east of the Korean peninsula from July 25-28, 2010. This is the first in a series of joint military exercises that will occur over the coming months in the East and West Seas. (U.S. Navy Photo/Released)

GoVols1998

I enjoy when RNK spouts off their crazy rhetoric, then when a carrier strike group shows up, they tone it down VERY quickly. What a bunch of p****'s.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
What a bunch of p****'s.

However they are also "a bucnh of p****'s" with nuclear weapons, lots of rockets that can reach South Korea and Japan and pretty much have nothing to lose if they feel the regime is threatened.

They present a credible threat, therefore you must honor that threat.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You'd think that if you were a South Korean fishing crew you'd know enough not to fish in the North Korean EEZ....
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6770MW20100808

After spending a year there, it doesn't surprise me as to the stupidity of Korean's. They are not exactly a think outside the box type of people. Matter of fact, with all the schooling the children go through, not sure so it's worth the effort from what I saw. Not exactly the brightest bunch of people on average.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... After spending a year there, it doesn't surprise me as to the stupidity of Korean's ....

Ah, yes, an interesting place. Fact I just returned from a din din of chopchae and discussions of current state of affairs in DPRK, esp the current horrible flooding in the countryside within DPRK, and the tight clampdown on any news about the flooding. A large number of dipsticks in SKorea want the USA out of there and reunification with the north. Had it not been for the USA we certainly would now have one Korea, but I bet it would look more like DPRK than ROK. Warning: Careful what you wish for.

I have spent a fair amount of time on the Korean issue, in particular the piracy of the USS Pueblo. I was up close and personal on the Pueblo capture, before the capture, during the capture, after the capture and long long after the capture. Sad, sad tale. The most significant Intel failure in our history, bar none. I was also involved in the Beggar Shadow mission (we referred to it as the BS mission) after the 6 MIG-17's shot down of the Super Connie 80 miles off the Korean coast. April 15, 1969, it was the DPRKAF present to their Dear Leader on his 57th birthday. Animals.

Early July 2010 the W. Wilson Center held a conference, inter alia, on the Pueblo and EC-121M "incidents". Many documents were declassifed and released, a lot from NSA, CIA, DOS, et al; but the most significant and interesting was the release of documents by former Warsaw Pact (USSR) satellite countries, such as Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, GDR and so on. A lot of personal memoranda, briefing papers, etc came out of the shadows, and for me, it proved how wrong we were in our interpertation of the Tea Leaves at the time.

Lots of material, pick and chose, but interesting reading. http://tinyurl.com/2f5ng3z