• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Source for Academy Time not counting towards retirement

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
There are going to be some academy guys in for a nasty shock. I repeatedly had USNA mids ask me "does your time count towards retirement like ours" during summer cruise.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Heh... yeah... some of us are going to be shocked. Somehow, the rumor that our time counted after 20 years got started and has spread like wildfire... and doesn't look like its gonna die out any time soon.

Although, I do think it should count for something other than a degree and a commission. All the crap we go through... especially our last 2 years when we are contracted to Uncle Sam.

Oh well... such is the road we chose. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the link, HH

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn...I was really hoping that would turn out to be one of those urban legends. You know, someone digs around and discovers that according to an old law that was never superseded, not only does USNA time count for retirement, but we're also entitled to six flagons of meade and a comely maiden per fiscal year.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ Cashing in on old legends......

When I was in college, I was a member of the Army's Simultaneous Membership Program. SMP allowed a ROTC Cadet to also be a drilling member of the Army Reserve or National Guard. I spent 3 years in SMP until I saw the light and went Navy.

As soon as you were commissioned, you lost all longevity credit for both pay and retirement from your time spent in the SMP. If you never commissioned, you kept it.

Sometime during my DH tour, the law changed. Overnight I received 9 months credit towards retirement (from my active duty for training periods) and 3 years credit on my Pay Entry Base Date (longevity for pay). Further the law was retroactive.....I received one hell of a paycheck after they recomputed somewhere around 14 years worth of pay. It was HUGE. Luckily it was also a tax free month when it was paid thanks to Bosnia, my being the Admin Officer, the squadron DKs working for me and my directing them to wait until deployment to figure it out.......

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Although, I do think it should count for something other than a degree and a commission. All the crap we go through... especially our last 2 years when we are contracted to Uncle Sam.

Indedpendent of the "crap," you know that ROTC guys sign on the line after their Freshman year. Yeah, I know we're not full time UCMJ, but they still technically own you for at least as long.

phrogpilot73

Indedpendent of the "crap," you know that ROTC guys sign on the line after their Freshman year. Yeah, I know we're not full time UCMJ, but they still technically own you for at least as long.
I thought ROTC guys sign the line after Freshman year only if they're scholarship. What chaps my ass is that guys who do PLC get their time in college credited towards their pay after they finish seniors. A couple of my buddies were getting paid O-1 over 2, and my time didn't count - even though I was on the hook for all 4 years at the Academy (since I was prior enlisted).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, somethings did count in the "old days." I work with a guy who is '89 USNA and is retiring in '08 as his one year at NAPS counted. He'll have 19 years as an officer and his one year at NAPS.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A buddy of mine was a reservist from 87 until 93, when he was commissioned via PLC. Never activated except for drill. He told me that he ha d confirmed AFADBD of 87, the day he signed his delayed entry paperwork.

Since I'm prior service as well (active duty with broken time) I asked him if he meant PEBD instead of AFADBD. He said that he was positive that it was AFADBD and he knew the difference. How can this be? Mistake? Or am I missing a reg somewhere?

My PEBD is the day that I signed on the line to join the navy. My AFADBD is a date equal to the day I started active duty in the Marines (TBS, not OCS) backdated for the period that I was active duty in the navy. In other words, that date was calculated. Nothing actually happenned that day.

According to the ACTS manual, I think I'm correct (unfortunately). Anybody got a similar story?

Oh, and FWIW, I think that the academy guys should get credit for pay purposes (PEBD) and not time in service (AFADBD). I think that's a fair comprimise for being subject to the UCMJ, yet being paid to get a college degree, for 4 years.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Time in BDCP counts for pay and retirement. It's nice being paid O1 over 2 years right out of OCS.

phrogpilot73

Time in BDCP counts for pay and retirement. It's nice being paid O1 over 2 years right out of OCS.
And this, combined with what HD said is what chaps my butt! All you did in college was party, and drink beer (there was some education in there, I know)... Yet, your time is creditable towards your pay and retirement and a boat school grad's is not. I was subject to the UCMJ the entire time I was at USNA. I was under a military commitment the entire time (if I quit before 2/C year, my contract for my enlistment picked up where it left off as if I hadn't done anything for 2 years). Yet, I don't receive time creditable for pay. One guy told me (a PLC grad) "Well that's the price for a free degree." My response was "WTF are you talking about? You had a full ride wrestling scholarship. You didn't pay a dime for school, didn't have a commitment to the military, and get paid more than me. It's bullshit."

Tom

pilot
Contributor
And this, combined with what HD said is what chaps my butt! All you did in college was party, and drink beer (there was some education in there, I know)... Yet, your time is creditable towards your pay and retirement and a boat school grad's is not. I was subject to the UCMJ the entire time I was at USNA. I was under a military commitment the entire time (if I quit before 2/C year, my contract for my enlistment picked up where it left off as if I hadn't done anything for 2 years). Yet, I don't receive time creditable for pay. One guy told me (a PLC grad) "Well that's the price for a free degree." My response was "WTF are you talking about? You had a full ride wrestling scholarship. You didn't pay a dime for school, didn't have a commitment to the military, and get paid more than me. It's bullshit."
If that chaps your butt, just consider the pay down the long run being O1 over 3, O2 over 4, O3 over 6...oh yes, also the 60 days I had of leave when I commissioned, pulling BAH and BAS while in college AND OCS, being entitled to driving from OCS to home and home to Pensacola after commissioning...should I continue? Maybe this should be a thread under BDCP.

BourneID

pilot
If that chaps your butt, just consider the pay down the long run being O1 over 3, O2 over 4, O3 over 6...oh yes, also the 60 days I had of leave when I commissioned, pulling BAH and BAS while in college AND OCS, being entitled to driving from OCS to home and home to Pensacola after commissioning...should I continue? Maybe this should be a thread under BDCP.

Tom,

You aren't making any friends here, I wouldn't brag too loud.