• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sometimes rio/wso chest pounding is justified

Pugs

Back from the range
None
when was the last time naphalm was employed by the u.s.?

IIRC we used it in Desert Storm in 91 to burn off the trenches fuel the Iraq's had laid as defensive lines. I don't know who did the dropping though.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
nape is cool

dropped a lot of nape and snake in vietnam (south,not north). also, as a fac ran a lot of nape/snake strikes. may not be politically correct anymore but it certianly had an adverse effect on the bad guys' will to fight.
not sure, but i would think it might be effective in the moutainous terrain in afghanistan. (sucks the oxygen out of caves).
of course, survivability of close in air strikes is probably not quite acceptible as it once was what with simple shoulder launched strella type stuff than any raghead can launch.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Is there a specific reason that the USN tends to stay away from dual controls in it's NFO platforms? The S-3 was an exception, as far as I know, but aren't most USN aircraft just equipped with one set of controls?

Wouldn't it make the aircraft more surviveable to have a stick and throttles in the back in case of a bird-strike, or other case of pilot incapacitation ala F-15E?

Obviously I'm talking TACAIR, not P-3/E-2

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
S-3 drivers correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the S-3A started out w/a [hated word] co-pilot in the right seat & the NFO & ASW EO in the back. Only later did they move the NFO to the right seat w/ a 2nd NFO & the EO in back.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Wouldn't general purpose MK82s been more effective against barges (i.e., ships) than napalm?
Absolutely ... the two times I bombed "barges" (one day & one night), the Mk-80 series bombs were the frag order of the day. We considered Rockeyes for a couple of the birds -- for a variety of reasons & just because we 'liked' Rocks -- but in the end went with the Mk-82/83/84 (with great results, may I add ???). :)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
not worth the cost

re:"Is there a specific reason that the USN tends to stay away from dual controls in it's NFO platforms? The S-3 was an exception, as far as I know, but aren't most USN aircraft just equipped with one set of controls?"

there have certainly been a few cases where it made a difference but not enough over the years to justify the cost. i used to get bfm time in iranian f-4e's f-5f's as an f14 instructor rio and it was fun but the flight controls were basically just in the way. (good lord, those fockers were stupid)
i think a lot of nfo's get some front seat sim time but most of the value from that is familiarity with standard/ emergency procedures which can be adaquately developed in alt/heading/speed freeze mode.

Flugelman

Contributor
S-3 drivers correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the S-3A started out w/a [hated word] co-pilot in the right seat & the NFO & ASW EO in the back. Only later did they move the NFO to the right seat w/ a 2nd NFO & the EO in back.

I'm not a driver but IIRC when we did the Op-Eval on the S-3 in VX-1 it was set up as you describe.