• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

some things really tick me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyOCS

I am waiting to go to TBS after I graduate in May. My job right now is working in a local bar. I get to talkin to some folks, I meet all kinds of walks of life as a bartender, and they eventually ask me what I am going to school for and what I am going to do when I graduate. I proudly state that I am going to be a U.S. Marine.

Some folks applaud and others just piss me off. I have encountered at least 3-4 men who will sit at the bar drinking their totties, trying to tell me all of the reasons I should not join the Marines. Citing all kinds of bogus bull**** reasons. "oh no", they say, "you dont want to do that with a business degree", or "join the airforce". And I usaully just grin and bear it. But no more... I am going to start fighting back, even if it means a lower tip in the jar.

I even went so far as to tell myself that I would just not tell people what my plans were,; then I thought screw that, I am proud of what a aspire to be. I should defend my choice and my service.

If it werent for the Marines we would all be speakin German.

Has any other Devil Dog or service member experienced folks like this? How did you deal with it in a quasi "professional" way.

Other than me venting there is no other purpose for this post.

perchul

Well this is why you need to be Marine for yourself and not others, seriously I would say about 85% of people 40 and younger don't even understand the real difference between the services beyond AF=Air, Army=Ground, Navy= Water...they don't have a clue about Marines other then they think they like to drink and fight.

They also think that the military should be a last resort (which is really disturbing for those of us who have worked both in the civilian and military arena) and don't understand that there is endless more pride in being part of any service then there is in having a sales, or other business related job.

If you should have the time ask the people..."What do you think the Marines do?" they won't really know...then ask "How much do you make, do you have benefits?" then ask
"are you happy and/or proud of what you do"?
Bottom Line is that Military Service members tend to make more then others in their respective age bracket, are more mature, happier with thier jobs, and most importantly they know why they do the job they do.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I worked in a bar for a year before and after I shipped to juniors. I would get all sorts of J-holes asking me what I want to do with my history degree. I of course end up explaining that, no, I don't want to teach, I'm training to be an officer of Marines while I'm in school. Like Kizer, I'd get varied reactions. Some would say nice things, others would just shut up, or try and talk me out of it, and every single one of them had a cousin's brother's friend's roommate's ex, whatever who had joined the Marines and been screwed by the Corps or is doing something way more hardcore than I am. Lot's of the guys have an excuse why they "couldn't get in" when they tried to join. Then there's the people who offer me a job driving a truck, stocking shelves, or whatever else their company does. I guess they figure that I have no other options than to join the military because either I'm a fricking idiot, or that I'm in some sort of trouble with the law. Regardless, I doubt the guy who's gettin' his slur on at the bar at 1300 is the type of motivator I' want to work for.
When people hear the word Marine, they have all sorts of preconcieved notions about the Corps. Now when people ask I try and keep the military talk short.

MarketPro

KizerSosay:

I can't speak to becoming a Marine, but I am in a similar situation. I currently have most guys' dream job: I'm a marketing executive for Fox Sports and the perks are phenomenal. I enjoy my job and I am good at my job, but I have made the decision to apply for Naval OCS.

It's a dream of mine, a responsibility and the honorbale thing for me to do. I'm married, I have two kids and I'm 23 years old. When I tell people what I'm doing, I get the same mix: some shake their heads, while others wonder why they were never brave enough to do it.

I have the utmost respect for the Corp. While the company you hold in your current job may not understand, be assured that the men and women with whom you serve will and it is for them you will fight. Good luck.

KBayDog

KizerSosay said:
Some folks applaud and others just piss me off. I have encountered at least 3-4 men who will sit at the bar drinking their totties, trying to tell me all of the reasons I should not join the Marines. Citing all kinds of bogus bull**** reasons. "oh no", they say, "you dont want to do that with a business degree", or "join the airforce". And I usaully just grin and bear it. But no more... I am going to start fighting back, even if it means a lower tip in the jar.

Don't fight back. It's not worth it - you will not win. They have their opinions, you have yours. You will find that the types that tell you not to join are either ones who couldn't hack it (boot camp/OCS attrites, admin clerks who got sepped due to drug use, etc.) They are usually the type that will tell you they were snipers, or did three tours in Nam, and were screwed over by a POS lieutenant or something. Enjoy their BS sea stories, smile and nod, and carry on.

The other (worse) types are the ones who didn't attempt to hack it - and wish they did. They either dodged the draft back in the day, or listened to their hippie parents and went for a "real" job. Now many of them are bitter, and wish they could turn back the clocks. Instead, they take it out on somebody who is using his business degree to serve his country, whether it be for four or forty. Sucks to be them.

Finally, there are the ignorant ones. Give them another drink, get another tip, and get on with your life. They will never change their minds.

You need to learn to pick your battles. A guy sitting at the bar, fueled by liquid courage (and a peer group) is not that battle. Look at the source, my friend.

Think of it this way: In a few months, when you are fighting the CLF in the hills of Quantico, they will be shooting the bull with another bartender, telling him that he should go into software instead of networks, should go state police vice local cop, etc. They are all experts.

The bottom line is that you are entering a noble profession, one which very, very few dare to enter. You know you are doing the right thing, and millions of free people around the world owe you a debt of gratitude.

Including the bum at the bar.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I feel this whole post. I have always been built up by friends/family/coworkers/classmates, whoever, that I would eventually "make it" and "be rich/famous" one day, because I was academically gifted in ways that a lot of others weren't. I get the same sorts of reactions, usually...when I tell most people I am going to the Navy, they either go "Wow, that's great, I really respect that," or they give me the whole "What the hell are you thinking/why would you ever want to do that?" thing.

Like perchul said, this is something you're doing for yourself, internally, and for those same people, regardless of their reactions. We are making this choice to do this to protect the place where people can react to what we say however they see fit, regardless of how ignorant said reactions may be and usually are.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fvck em. Why give them the time of day? All you have to do is serve them beer.

Clux4

Banned
When you give a drunk an audience you make it more difficult for people to distinguish the drunk from the sane. Why not agree with him/her and collect their lovely tips because you will not be there for too long.

NavyOCS

Clux4 said:
When you give a drunk an audience you make it more difficult for people to distinguish the drunk from the sane. Why not agree with him/her and collect their lovely tips because you will not be there for too long.

Because biting my tongue is sooo difficult when drunk asses think they know it all. But, I will give it a shot. When they say crap like they do I feel like they are so un freakin gratefull

Or I could quote the Big Lebowski..."I had buddies die face down in the muck in Vietnam so you and I could enjoy this family restaraunt!"

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KizerSosay said:
Because biting my tongue is sooo difficult when drunk asses think they know it all. But, I will give it a shot. When they say crap like they do I feel like they are so un freakin gratefull

Dude, they're drunk. First rule of debating: Don't debate while intoxicated or with a party that is intoxicated. They don't care what you're saying, they don't actually hear what you're saying, and they probably won't even remember what you said the next day. It's futile. Ignore them.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I joined but haven't reaped any "freebie" benefits yet. I've only completed juniors so all that I've earned is the opportunity to complete seniors this summer. I tend to stay away from the moto tees and whatnot until I can look a Marine in the eye and tell him I've earned the title.

Matt S

None
I was at Hooters on Libo this past summer and we had a Staff Sargeant pick up our tab. We were shocked and tryed to refuse, but he said to make it up to some other Marine some other day. It was right there that I realized the brotherhood of the Corp. and how bad I want to be a part of it. OCS was a great experience that I can't believe I have to go through again.

There's not a doubt in my mind that it's worth it and you know that Kizer so just keep getting the drunks drunk and you stay focused!
S/F

Status
Not open for further replies.