• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some resources to get started with data science & AI/ML (attn: IWC DCO aspirants)

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm very familiar with the NOOCS Manual. In addition to being a math nerd, I'm a record management nerd. Some SSPs have very particular requirements. The MS,OR from NPS is an 8-quarter/32-class curriculum. Matching those military-oriented studies with a 10-class curriculum at GT, a school focused on healthcare, industrial systems, and ML is going to be difficult, and the SSP wasn't/isn't my goal.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't looked into getting an AQD, but I know there's a subspec code for the degree. I'm about to transition from one restrictive career path (1310) to another (1510). Job prospects for my next tour include: a program office, a program office, or ... wait for it... a program office. While I'm sure there are some AEDO billets managing or work beside analysts, it's not the active-duty folks doing the work.

My buddy did 3 tours after transitioning to AEDO, program office x 2 but with a flying tour at a depot sandwiched in between the program office tours.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I'm very familiar with the NOOCS Manual. In addition to being a math nerd, I'm a record management nerd. Some SSPs have very particular requirements. The MS,OR from NPS is an 8-quarter/32-class curriculum. Matching those military-oriented studies with a 10-class curriculum at GT, a school focused on healthcare, industrial systems, and ML is going to be difficult, and the SSP wasn't/isn't my goal.
Well, when you are done with your degree/ talking to your detailer about follow-on orders, and if you want to do an ORSA tour in the DC area, PM me.

taxi1

pilot
a program office, a program office, or ... wait for it... a program office.
Could be a depot (as Flash mentioned), maybe finagle a tour at ONR, there’s currently at least one naval officer Program Manager at DARPA, could teach at the academy. I’m sure those aren’t golden path tours for 1510, but they could be great springboard tours. Just have to get in with the right crowd?

link6

No.

This said, resume inflation is very difficult to detect if one can speak intelligently to what is listed on the resume.

Curious comment. It's absolutely not "resume inflation" to claim demonstrable competency in skills and tools.

I'm advising that people go out and build real, usable competencies so they don't have to inflate their resumes.

Last edited:

link6

Drifting the topic, but micro-credentialing is a growing thing. I think it's good too. A way to reflect these incremental knowledge gains.

Agreed, especially if you suspect that your prospective employer relies heavily on credentials as a heuristic for competency. Caveat emptor, though: Predatory microcerts are everywhere, and there are few fields more decoupled from the credentialist mindset than data science (though this will probably change in the coming years with the explosion of degree programs worldwide).

Just be completely upfront about your strengths, however you've acquired them. I remember reading a "How to Apply at Google" blog post some years ago. One of the tips that's always stuck with me was, "Be honest about your skills. If you claim to be a 10/10 in Python, we'll have Guido van Rossum interview you. Seriously."

Just an observation: It's taken for granted that super-arching and unquantifiable fluff like "excellent interpersonal and communication skills" need not be backed by degrees/certs, because practically any interviewer can check that on the spot. If I purport myself as an expert in X, and an org sees fit to send someone who can't recognize expertise in X to interview me, their hiring process is broken. What else might be broken?