• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some questions I have..

Super Hornet 88

Do you have to be in High School in order to apply? Because I read that a person has to be between 17-23 years old in order to apply. Does the Academy accept transfers or do you enlist then apply when your out of high school?

I'm curious....

Thanks,

Dan

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Are you in high school or college? The academy accepts some people after a year or two of college. They are not "transfers" per say because you will start all over again regardless of whether you come in with 30 credit hours or 120. They do not accept transfer credits, but you MAY have the option of testing out of certain classes you may have already had. You will need really good grades (mostly A's, no C's) and you need to have taken classes that they consider on the academy's track, ie. calc, chem, etc. They do take some enlisted guys out of the fleet. Enlisting with the idea that you want to get to the academy is not a good idea, and you had better be ready to serve out the full time of your enlistment. If you still want to go this route try to go Nuke, as the academy likes picking up priors from this area.

Super Hornet 88

xmid said:
Are you in high school or college? The academy accepts some people after a year or two of college. They are not "transfers" per say because you will start all over again regardless of whether you come in with 30 credit hours or 120. They do not accept transfer credits, but you MAY have the option of testing out of certain classes you may have already had. You will need really good grades (mostly A's, no C's) and you need to have taken classes that they consider on the academy's track, ie. calc, chem, etc. They do take some enlisted guys out of the fleet. Enlisting with the idea that you want to get to the academy is not a good idea, and you had better be ready to serve out the full time of your enlistment. If you still want to go this route try to go Nuke, as the academy likes picking up priors from this area.

I graduate high school this Thursday so I guess I could say that I am out of high school. The plan I have is to attend a JC for a couple of years and then transfer. So I guess "transferring" is possible and I would start out at the bottom. I have no problem with that and will earn A's in JC, do most people who go to the Academy go this route or is it usually straight from high school?

I wasn't thinking of enlisting in order to attend, but I remember reading a book and there was guy who enlisted and eventually went to the Academy. That is the reason why I asked.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The actual numbers are probably in the USNA catalogue, but most people do go to USNA right out of high school. The breakdown is probably something like this: 900 high school kids, 2-300 NAPSters and foundationers, 60 prior enlisted from the fleet, and 50 or so kids from a previous college. These numbers aren't exact, but I have seen the exact ones and they are pretty close. Did you apply in high school? Were you turned down or offered prep school? Technically you can get in from a JC, but they tend to favor big name schools. The guys I knew were from Duke, Penn State, and UGA. If you can go to your states university that would look better. If you can go to NAPS or a foundation prep school for a year that is the way to go, because as long as you get a 2.0 you get in to the next USNA class. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will try to help.

If it's something you want to do, don't worry about the Academy's numbers...worry about YOUR numbers (i.e. GPA, classes, etc). These are the only things that matter. If you are serious about seeking a commission, I'd apply for both the Academy and an NROTC scholarship just to cover all your bases.

Even if you don't pick up a scholarship out of Community College (I didn't), you can still attend a university with NROTC and gain a commission.

Hope that helps some...

-jai5w4

xmid

pilot
Contributor
jai5w4, I completely with what you are saying. Don't play the numbers game, just try to be the best candidate you can be. Don't try to be the guy that just pulls down "good enough" stats to get in, be the guy that the admission board COULDN'T turn down. The reason I mentioned class schedules and school selection is because these are very important in the eyes of the board. Do not go to a community college because you think you will get better grades to show USNA, and don't take "fluff" classes for the same reason. The admissions board IS going to take this in to account. You need to be taking calc and chem your first semester to show the board that you can handle the load. These are the two classes that get about 10% or more of the plebe class sent home every year, so showing that you can handle those classes will be a big bonus. You need to be taking them your first semester because you will have to apply immediately afterward to be looked at for the next summers admission. Look in to NROTC either at your school or a crosstown association. A few guys come to USNA from NROTC, and you may decide that NROTC is the way you want to go anyway. If your commission is your end goal try to gain as much information about all of the commissioning sources and go from there.

There are some extraordinary people at USNA that have done extraordinary things, and let this be a motivator to you. There are many, many different paths people take to get there. I knew a guy who got in to USNA with a GED, a couple people with 1600 SATs, a guy who applied 5 times and was 23 before entering the academy, and kids that turned down scholarship to very prestigious schools to go to USNA. The list goes on and on. There are many incredible stories of how people got there, and you could be one of these. In fact, I believe I may be the only person to have been both a cadet at USAFA and a midshipman at USNA. Do your best and you can be one of those guys with an interesting story to tell the other plebes when you get to the boat school. Good luck!

Super Hornet 88

xmid-I did not apply when I was in high school due to the fact that I screwed up big time in 9th and 10th grade. I failed classes and got D's because I thought high school would be like American Pie. I thought I could go here and there, not do my homework and be Mr.Popular but what I should have been doing was my homework for my Honors classes and studying. I finally woke up in 11th grade and ever since my GPA has been going up. Well that's one of the reasons I didn't apply and the other one was my so-called "counselor".
Where the NROTC guys transfering from a 4-year during the Freshmen or Sophmore years?

jai5w4-John were you part of the college program then?

xmid and jai5w4 I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have some big decisons I have to make pretty soon and like John said before, if I am serious about seeking a commission I would apply to both the Academy and NROTC. Getting commissioned is my goal during college and if I have to go through different programs to earn it, I will.

Thanks,

Dan

xmid

pilot
Contributor
NAPS= Naval Academy Preperatory School. It's in Newport Rhode Island. You get paid to go there and its basically a kick in the nuts that you will actually look back on fondly. As long as you get a 2.0 (which is harder than it sounds) and keep your head out of your ass, you get to go to USNA the next year. You don't apply to NAPS seperately, you apply to USNA and they may offer it to you, but if you want to go to NAPS you should let them know. Sometimes they offer NAPS to guys they know won't get in directly, but ask to go to NAPS instead. Call up there and ask. Get real proactive about it. Let them know what you want to do and get them on board. If you can do that, they will help you out a lot.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
No matter where you go...you have a GREAT chance of getting Jets.

opinionhornet.gif

~D

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just apply. Sometime during the application process (probably earlier) you should make them aware that you are interested in NAPS or (insert program here).

I told them I was willing to work my hardest and do anything to get into the Academy and two weeks later I got my offer to do USNA Foundation...

Btw, which mod made that diabetes guy Super Hornet's avatar? I gotta give you rep points for that, it had me laughing.