• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some neat pictures of a rooftop extraction

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Hmm, thats something I don't think they'll teach us in the TH-57. Great pics though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have you done your first three HTACs yet, greg? I think we "dropped off some SEALs" on two of them after coming into the 360 overhead. Kind of cool to see the helo flown in a non-FTI way at that point.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Now is it easier for a helicopter with tandem rotor blades like the Ch-47 or Ch-53 to hover like that next to a building, or could any helicopter do it about the same? Either way it is a sweet shot.

phrogpilot73

It is easier, but not for the reasons you'd think... Only because of the position of our wheels... If you look REALLY close in that first picture, I'd be worried about dynamic rollover. It looks like one of his mainmounts penetrated the roof...

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Oh yeah that is neat. So a Ch-53 would have a harder time doing it because of position of the wheels? Interesting point, hadn't thought about it like that.

contrail_dash

Don't forget that the 53's tail boom extends rather far back. Some where theres a vid of a RAF 46' that lands on its rear mains, then taxis backwards with just the rears on the ramp...pretty good skills.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Don't forget that the 53's tail boom extends rather far back. Some where theres a vid of a RAF 46' that lands on its rear mains, then taxis backwards with just the rears on the ramp...pretty good skills.

Sometimes backward taxing doesnt work out to well. Picture from airliners.net, i let you figure out what went wrong.

Attachments

• 839508.jpg
    839508.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 139

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's all good. Rotors are still turnin'. That's all that matters, right?

Lawman

None
Thats got to be a PITA to try and maintain your position for the pilot. It doesnt look like he has anything in front of him as a reference point other then the big mountain a couple miles away.

I take it this is one of those times where you hope your crewchief is doing his job?