• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SOME HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey y'all,

I just recently submitted my app for NAVY Aviator (SNA & NA) but I also want to look into the MARINES ... don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket. I am obviously going to speak with a recruiter but I was hoping I could get some insight first so I don't go in there blind. Here are a few questions that I have:

1. Are Aviation slots really tight right now (as much as the other branches)

2. Age reqs. I'm 27 ... I've been told I can get in with a waiver.

3. What are the reqs for the PRT. Is the actual PRT different from the NAVY's (push ups/sit ups/ 1 1/2 mile run). And I have been seeing posts about PRT's and people will say for ex: they have a PRT of 250. What does this mean?

4. I've been reading a bunch of the posts and have seen the ones about the board meetings that are coming up. Are there only a few per year and if so when are they.

5. Do they care about previous flight time or is it trivial.

6. Can I apply to more than one branch of the military at the same time or will that put a bad taste in everyones mouth.

If anyone has any other info that I failed to touch on I would love to hear it. Any help you guys can provide will put a big fat smile on my face (haha). But serioulsy ... I'd really appreciate any info that you guys could provide. Thanks and good luck to all!!

Peace,

-Spin

klostman

the happy dance!
Spin, for Marines its called PFT. I'm sure Navy is different than Marines. To get a perfect PFT, you have to do 20 pullups, 100 situps in two minutes and run 3 miles in 18:00 min. 250 is now the minimum for Marines OCS application. You get 5 points for every pullup. I'm not sure exactly how many points you get docked for falling below 18 minute 3 mile run and 100 situps in 2 minutes. Somebody on here can probably give you more exact details on that. Hope this helped a little. As far as flying time, I have a classmate who is applying for OCS for Marine Corps and he has over 700 hours along with PVT pilot, Commercial, CFI, Instrument. The Captain told him it won't help him when his app. goes to the board. Probably help in flight school some, but thats about it. Thats just what I've heard from my OSO.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Regarding the Physical Fitness Test...

That's 100 CRUNCHES in 2 min, worth 1 point apiece for a max of 100.

You lose 1 point on the run for every 10 secs after 18:01, e.g. 18:01=99, 18:11=98.

Phrogs phorever

LadyJayUSN

Regarding Flight time...

...for the Navy, yes it can make a difference...

Let me put it to ya this way. 2 applications...both have 3.5+ GPA's in similar degrees, both have perfect PRT/PFT scores, both scored 7s and 8s on the ASTAB, both are medically considered perfect physical specimens, neither have prior enlisted experience, but one guy has almost 1000hrs of Commercial flight time in multi-engine turbo props....

...who do you think is going to get the SNA slot?

psrogers

Intel Officer
Darn, those are some tough physical standards- especially the run time. Navy minimum requirement is like 2 minutes slower per mile, on average, and for half the distance.

Good to know the ARG's are in bad#!s shape.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by psrogersDarn, those are some tough physical standards- especially the run time. Navy minimum requirement is like 2 minutes slower per mile, on average, and for half the distance.
They're referring to the max possible points, not the minimum requirements.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

Thanks for the info. This board is GREAT!! The PFT shouldn't really be a problem. For my navy PRT I did a little below 100 sit ups so 100 crunches should be easy, my run for a 1 1/2 mile was 10:12 so now I guess I have to adjust to the 3 mile distance which will just take some time ... I'm a great runner so it's just a matter of routine adjustment. Pull ups I gotta work on (hehe).

Another ques. I got 5's across the board and a oar of 48 on my Test Battery. For the Navy, this with my flight time, etc. etc. was enough to make me competitive ... not necessarily the best but competitive enough. What about for the Marines? Obviously, no matter what answer I get I'm still going to go for it but again I just wanted some insight.

And on another note ... it's like 2 in the morning and I just got back from seeing "Friday After Next" (with Ice Cube) and it was hilarious!!! Later y'all!!

Peace,

-Spin

budaploud

Spin,
I just finished taking my ASTB this past week. I was told that the minimum scores were 4,6,and 6. I am not 100% certain how the scores are weighed by the board. I believe that you should go and speak with a USMC recruiter and get all the info. that you need. I am attempting to go USMC in the June '03 183 class with an aviation contract. I have a flight physical this Tuesday or Wednesday down at New River in Jacksonville.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

Good luck budaploud. I am definitely going to give the recruiter a call tomorrow and see what he says. Hopefully I'll be ok and I will just have to go through the process of getting yet more letters of rec. Let me know how it goes! In the meantime I will be doing pullups till my arms turn to jello.

Peace,

-Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.