• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some clarification about ASTB scoring

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You seem like a good dude, so I'm gonna shoot straight to the point. There's a lot of shit to worry about in flight school. Not hitting your lead, sounding cool on the radio, and memorizing EPs so you can stay alive are real close to the top. The rest of the stuff, especially how the ASTB is scored, is pretty useless.

Bottom line, relax or your fucking head is going to explode...best of luck.

exNavyOffRec

I see. So it's not really stanine that you are being compared in percentiles. Rather they give the stanine numbers to make it easier to understand, because the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR are determined by a combination of other scores? Is this right?

Math, Reading, and Mechanical all go toward OAR, I believe the last 3 sections each go toward either PFAR, FOFAR, or AQR, but it has been a few years since the brief by the test administrator in Pensacola.

AirGuy

You seem like a good dude, so I'm gonna shoot straight to the point. There's a lot of shit to worry about in flight school. Not hitting your lead, sounding cool on the radio, and memorizing EPs so you can stay alive are real close to the top. The rest of the stuff, especially how the ASTB is scored, is pretty useless.

Bottom line, relax or your fucking head is going to explode...best of luck.

I'll keep that in mind. Best not to worry about everything. Thanks for the help bro.

Math, Reading, and Mechanical all go toward OAR, I believe the last 3 sections each go toward either PFAR, FOFAR, or AQR, but it has been a few years since the brief by the test administrator in Pensacola.

Thanks for the information. I suppose it is rather pointless to worry about how the ASTB is scored cause it doesn't matter. I'll just try my best on it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

BENDER

pilot
You've probably already seen this... but in case you haven't some info is attached.

Attachments

• astboverview-2.pdf
    463.5 KB · Views: 56

exNavyOffRec

You've probably already seen this... but in case you haven't some info is attached.

The description of FY04 and the use of stanine is probably where people think the scores are continually adjusted as time goes by.

It is interesting that looking at the actual numbers from FY04 show the majority seen to get 5 or less, of course this kind of goes with what I saw in actual testing.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
So you get your raw scores after submitting but have to wait until you get the 1 - 9 scores?

About the NROTC dets, what do I have to do eventually? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

You get all four final scores immediately.

The NROTC bit was a joke. Some tests out in the world are given as a percentile based on whoever takes it the same day. The AFOQT does this, so people joke that you should hope that the MIT cadets aren't taking them the same day so you don't get screwed. No such issue here with regard to worrying about when you take the test.