• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Solving the HT dilemma - extend life of TH-57 - move 30% of syllabus to sims

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
"you can't let the engineers talk to the customers..."

I work in a different field, but it would sure make my life easier if they could.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
How are things in HT land now gents? Availability getting better?

Yeah. I'd say we generally are getting 100% of the aircraft we want. I think that's partially because (I think?) maintenance has (temporarily?) suspended the rule that previously only let us put 10 hours on per aircraft per day and upped it to 12? In private, some of the maintainers have expressed they aren't sure how long they will be able to continue to meet the current demand signal, but I really haven't seen them cracking on the user end. I think we may run into issues with the transition to the ADS-B as they mod out more of those aircraft, but aren't allowed to fly them with students yet.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This letter was just published in this month's Rotor & Wing - letters to the editor section:

Solutions for Military Training

Regarding your article on the role commercial companies are playing in reducing costs to military services of helicopter training (R&WI, April 2017, “Services Seek Training Options,” page 20), you highlight Qinetiq’s role in supporting the U.K. Ministry of Defence. Where a private solution could really help is the U.S. Navy’s helicopter training program. The Navy can’t afford to buy a replacement for its obsolescent TH-57s and refuses to go with a sensible private-sector solution — a turnkey comprehensive training program in which a private contractor would own the aircraft and provide training support. The U.S. Army and Air Force already rely on private companies for training fixed-wing pilots. The odd man out is the Chief of Naval Air Training.

Dr. Daniel Goure
Vice President, The Lexington Institute
Arlington, Virginia

ChuckMK23

pilot
He's got undeniably impressive academic chops and defense consulting experience, but his bio doesn't make any mention of ever having served a single day in uniform.
Agree - and I think Leonardo has him as a hired gun to push the TH-119 ....

ChuckMK23

pilot
Yeah. I'd say we generally are getting 100% of the aircraft we want. I think that's partially because (I think?) maintenance has (temporarily?) suspended the rule that previously only let us put 10 hours on per aircraft per day and upped it to 12? In private, some of the maintainers have expressed they aren't sure how long they will be able to continue to meet the current demand signal, but I really haven't seen them cracking on the user end. I think we may run into issues with the transition to the ADS-B as they mod out more of those aircraft, but aren't allowed to fly them with students yet.

I wonder where new parts will come from. Bell isn't producing the 206B anymore and there are an awfully large number of machines out there competing for the parts pool.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The U.S. Army and Air Force already rely on private companies for training fixed-wing pilots. The odd man out is the Chief of Naval Air Training.

Dr. Daniel Goure
Vice President, The Lexington Institute
Arlington, Virginia

They do?? I wasn't aware of this, at least on the USAF side... UPT is still done with active-duty squadrons. I have almost no idea how the Army does it, but I think it's something similar.

Not sure how CNATRA is the "odd man out" here. Suspect glossy brochure talk.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm pretty sure the green aircraft at Rucker also have U.S. Army on the sides, as well. I can't remember if the -67s do. I'm sure Rob could tell us.

Agree - and I think Leonardo has him as a hired gun to push the TH-119 ....

If true, yuck. A buddy I know who flies Air Ambulance out west just had their -109 taken away and replaced with a 407 (I think that's what it is) because any time they needed parts from Leonardo..."Eh, we getcha the parts soon, eh?" The company had had enough.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They do?? I wasn't aware of this, at least on the USAF side... UPT is still done with active-duty squadrons....Suspect glossy brochure talk.

More like a very selective choice of words, pretty sure the USAF has contracted out their version of IFS and that is it.

The Lexington Institute

They seem to just exist to advocate for whoever is paying them, they have long been advocates for the JSF but were paid to do it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder if we could "go fund me" something for them to "study." Something absurd... let me think...

Mwuahahhahaa!!

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Pretty sure parts of Army initial rotary wing training are civilian instructors in Army owned aircraft. Kind of like the primary phase for Navy/Marine studs. That might be what he is referring to wrt the Army.

TexasForever

pilot
I like the Augusta (or whatever they're calling it these days) -119. It's a clean looking bird from a company that breaks tradition from the Bell/Sikorsky normalcy. They might actually hold true to their word and have some shred of good guy decency with respect to not screwing the customer. After hearing some of the horror stories about Bell's warranty (or lack thereof) and general negligence I hope they don't get the contract.