• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soft contact lense "waiver"

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I just found out that the "final approval" for the soft contact lense "waiver" is done at your flight physical at pcola... after your graduate from OCS.

Just bringing this up, because apparently navy medicine doesent know how to communicate. I went to a civilian eye doc for my regular eye physical (the one everyone gets) and everyone told me my eyes were fine. Then I had to go back for whatever reason, and they said my eyes were fine. Then I had to go to a military doctor because they used the wrong chart. And the military doc said I was fine.. now I'm being told that was all just a waste of time because you dont even get 'approved' until your final physical.

Just a notice... don't want anyone else to have to go through all that bull...

Crowbar

None
^^I'm sure that post will stop civilian eye docs from using the wrong charts and will also stop the Navy from jerking people around. It's part of life.

Isn't it a little early to be bagging on the Navy when you haven't even been to OCS yet?

irishmc

whitesoxnation said:
I just found out that the "final approval" for the soft contact lense "waiver" is done at your flight physical at pcola... after your graduate from OCS.

Just bringing this up, because apparently navy medicine doesent know how to communicate. I went to a civilian eye doc for my regular eye physical (the one everyone gets) and everyone told me my eyes were fine. Then I had to go back for whatever reason, and they said my eyes were fine. Then I had to go to a military doctor because they used the wrong chart. And the military doc said I was fine.. now I'm being told that was all just a waste of time because you dont even get 'approved' until your final physical.

Just a notice... don't want anyone else to have to go through all that bull...

yeah, I just found this out myself. my OSO, who was all for me doing this, is pretty much recommending that I just get PRK now to avoid any BS. I'll probably take his advice instead of rolling the dice.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Crowbar said:
^^I'm sure that post will stop civilian eye docs from using the wrong charts and will also stop the Navy from jerking people around. It's part of life.

I thought I said that it was to advise people who were going through the same thing...

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
irishmc said:
yeah, I just found this out myself. my OSO, who was all for me doing this, is pretty much recommending that I just get PRK now to avoid any BS. I'll probably take his advice instead of rolling the dice.

I would think getting PRK before your in would be more a roll of the dice than having a soft contact lense waiver.

AV8BQAR

Mech
Getting PRK is more of a rolling the dice issue than the SCL waiver. That is why I struggled with it. However, if you feel confident that PRK will make you see like superman (like me) then go for it. An advantage to PRK is that I can put in my waiver and be done with it now, instead of submitting it with me ECP package and "loading on the waivers". One of the advantages of already being active duty and having access to flight surgeons. Besides, I had to learn how to work for a living, right?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I "failed" my pre-commissioning physical because my vision tested at 20/10. I tried to explain that this was a good thing, but my final choice was to either drive 5 hours to Corpus to retake, or spend $50 to get a civilian to do it. Pain in the ass. Damn chancre mechanics....

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
billthrill1 said:
My vision is like 20/60 or something like that. I am also strapped for time here because I am entering my senior year, and my recruiter says if we haul ass I can still apply to the BDCP.

Yet...my recruiters (I've had 2) have not been sure what to do about my eyesight. Whitesoxnation, according to what happened with you, should I not even really be worrying about my vision during the application process?

I don't really feel as if I'm qualified to answer that question... sorry.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I "failed" my pre-commissioning physical because my vision tested at 20/10. I tried to explain that this was a good thing, but my final choice was to either drive 5 hours to Corpus to retake, or spend $50 to get a civilian to do it. Pain in the ass. Damn chancre mechanics....

HUH?

You tested perfect and you failed?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Exactly. Evidently the corpsman that processed the exams was told to put all the 20/20 ones in one pile, and all the other ones in another pile. Nobody explained what it meant. I paid the $50, didn't try to read the 20/10 line, and mades sure it said 20/20. Probably an isolated case of stupidity.

irishmc

whitesoxnation said:
I would think getting PRK before your in would be more a roll of the dice than having a soft contact lense waiver.

if I do get PRK, it will be after PLC seniors. by that point I think I'll be ready to make the final decision, and I'll still have more than 6 months before my flight physical. at least that's the way the timeline looks right now.