• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SOAR

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
To be clear I am not saying the floaty C-130 is the be all and end all of open ocean aviation, but it is a concpetual step in the right direction and my whole point is that it should have been a navy step.

taxi1

pilot
To be clear I am not saying the floaty C-130 is the be all and end all of open ocean aviation, but it is a concpetual step in the right direction and my whole point is that it should have been a navy step.
My father, retired chief, still tells stories about being an Airman Recruit and hauling seaplanes out of the water at a base across from Annapolis, where steely-eyed naval aviators would take midshipmen up for flight training.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My father, retired chief, still tells stories about being an Airman Recruit and hauling seaplanes out of the water at a base across from Annapolis, where steely-eyed naval aviators would take midshipmen up for flight training.
Lots of seaplane ramps still at Pax. Also, fun NOB trivia: the reason the hangars are called SP and LP is because SP was SeaPlane and those were the seawall hangars and LP was Land Plane and those were the hangars by Chambers.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
According to legend, the seaplane ramps at NAS Pensacola were used by class drill instructors to express their dissatisfaction by marching the formation of candidates down the ramp.

taxi1

pilot
Also, fun NOB trivia: the reason the hangars are called SP and LP is because SP was SeaPlane and those were the seawall hangars and LP was Land Plane and those were the hangars by Chambers.
That, I did not know!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
According to legend, the seaplane ramps at NAS Pensacola were used by class drill instructors to express their dissatisfaction by marching the formation of candidates down the ramp.
Not legend…quite true but not much further than waist deep or so followed by a “to the rear - march” to ensure all ranks were sufficiently moist.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I used to enjoy taxiing our E2s across to the road to the SP hangars back in the day. FOD walkdowns along the seawall too.
Occasionally helo guys would land at Chambers from an actual ILS or something and then get in trouble for hopping the fence when no one opened the flightline gate.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Occasionally helo guys would land at Chambers from an actual ILS or something and then get in trouble for hopping the fence when no one opened the flightline gate.
They were following taxi ways…just not “touching” them.

taxi1

pilot
Heh...jealous!

I was there pre-gates, also when there was still RWY 1-19.

I used to love it when there'd be high winds so we could land on 19 during rush hour. The road was right next to the threshold. You could plop it down on the numbers and scare the crap out of commuters trapped in that spot in traffic (there were flashy lights to stop them).