• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SOAR

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do you guys honestly not think the AFSOC amphib MC-130 isn’t innovative and entirely mission relevant to the coming threats? Or are you guys just pissed the AF thought of it first? I think it’s brilliant. I’m sure lots of folks poo-poo’d the idea of marrying a terrain following radar to a heavy lift helicopter - only to see the most important and storied military helicopter in history come to being.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Do you guys honestly not think the AFSOC amphib MC-130 isn’t innovative and entirely mission relevant to the coming threats? Or are you guys just pissed the AF thought of it first? I think it’s brilliant. I’m sure lots of folks poo-poo’d the idea of marrying a terrain following radar to a heavy lift helicopter - only to see the most important and storied military helicopter in history come to being.
All kidding aside, it might come in useful in the area seen here…

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I honestly think I wouldn’t make such a determination without reading over the potential CONOPS for using the thing, and I won’t find that at least until the next time I show up to drill and log into SIPR.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you owe the bank $100 you have a problem. If you owe the bank $1,000,000,000,000,000 they have a problem. We won’t be going to a physical war with China anytime in my life.
People are not 100 percent rational beings. In 1914, two of Germany’s largest trading partners were Britain and Russia. In 1939, the Soviet Union’s biggest trading partner was Germany.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If you owe the bank $100 you have a problem. If you owe the bank $1,000,000,000,000,000 they have a problem. We won’t be going to a physical war with China anytime in my life.
If I owe a bank $1,000,000,000,000,000 I’m robbing the bank to pay back my loan…with their money.

All kidding aside, you can plan on a war without actually starting one.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Without seeing the CONOPS I don't. It seems like a grab for relevance that so AFSOC doesn't have to play with others. This came up before and I beat it up then. Bottom line is I think you're going to be very limited by sea state and observability/survivability.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Without seeing the CONOPS I don't. It seems like a grab for relevance that so AFSOC doesn't have to play with others. This came up before and I beat it up then. Bottom line is I think you're going to be very limited by sea state and observability/survivability.

I'm baffled as to what they think they are going to use it for. Honestly this seems like a solution in search of a problem and a byproduct of SOCOM often doing its own thing no matter what the CCMD's are actually planning to do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm baffled as to what they think they are going to use it for. Honestly this seems like a solution in search of a problem and a byproduct of SOCOM often doing its own thing no matter what the CCMD's are actually planning to do.
I can only assume there's some larger object that needs to be moved otherwise why not just use a section/division of CV-22s? How you'd get that off of the C-130 is an interesting question too.

taxi1

pilot
Do you guys honestly not think the AFSOC amphib MC-130 isn’t innovative and entirely mission relevant to the coming threats?
Brilliant minds...when you have floats, the world is your runway. Land in the lee of an island, who cares about sea state?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I don't see the point of either one, but a flying boat design makes more sense. You could potentially even mod the hull of an existing C-130 to work. Better payload capacity, less drag, and potentially easier to load/unload stuff. A C-130 on floats looks like it would fly like shit. I wonder about the engine-failure considerations too.

Can't help but wonder if we're all being punked here.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I don't see the point of either one, but a flying boat design makes more sense. You could potentially even mod the hull of an existing C-130 to work. Better payload capacity, less drag, and potentially easier to load/unload stuff. A C-130 on floats looks like it would fly like shit. I wonder about the engine-failure considerations too.

I think they might have a role in supporting the EAB concept.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
1R8CdgA.gif

tale-spin-owned.gif

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I can only assume there's some larger object that needs to be moved otherwise why not just use a section/division of CV-22s? How you'd get that off of the C-130 is an interesting question too.
True, I cannot think of any reasonable way you could even get a useful cargo load onto it safely.