• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be a CAG (but can't)...

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Read the aviation major command board precept. A requirement for CVW command and is "significant career experience in carrier aviation operations." Note this is the same requirement for CVN command. "Significant career experience in carrier aviation operations" is defined later to be completion of a DH and/or CO tour in a squadron deploying aboard CVNs, specifically including CVW helicopter squadrons and excluding "expeditionary" VFA and VAQ squadrons.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

And we have a winner.

A directive from an 3 star to the Captians on the Aviation Command Screaning Board: There is no Big Navy guidance that helo bubas are excluded for CVW command.

Instead, the members have consistinatly excluded them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell that to Air Forces (who gets a chop on the selection list). The policy is no secret. It's discussed at the Hook Flag panel nearly every year. Sorry to ruin your "Ahh Ha!" moment.

Brett

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Show me an instruction. Until it is written down it it is just people protecting thier turf.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those are two separate things. Some powers come with the title of CNAF and they aren't all enumerated in an instruction. You know that as well as I do. Since you're obviously passionate about this, you could come to Hook in Sept and ask the man to explain the policy to you.

Brett

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Turns out my community does not regularly send people TDY to 'hook. I would love to go. I will go as soon as I get a chance.

The only flag panel I have been to was a NHA conference when I was in the RAG. I did not make any comments. I have been deployed /on boat det for the last two and the next NHA conference. The next one I go to. I will ask the question.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The question is regularly asked at NHA panels, which regularly feature dudes that pay lip service to the idea of a helo CAG. Been hearing about it coming "any year now" for several years.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
So what you are saying is Big Navy Aviation leadership will tell me to my face that a helo guy will get CAG soon but will actively block it if it comes up. That's fucked up!

I see this as along the sames line as the Air Force recently had only fighter COS until Sect. Gates wanted a non-fighter dude.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
That's the rub. If the admirals had said "ain't gonna happen," I could have bitched and moaned about a disagreement, but that fact that they told me it was going to happen yet prevent it is fucked up. CNAF is always a jet guy after all.

It is too easy to ask the question "when will as help pilot become CAG" because it is too easy to answer soon. I believe the better question is "Will we have a helo or female CAG first?" That forces them to choose between two specific groups as opposed to general answers. Last year I gave that specific question to my skipper to submit for people who were unable to make it to NHA. I never heard anything further.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
from an old out of looper,

have there been a lot of lady cags?
also, how close is one to being a carrier skipper?
GetInline.aspx

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

And we have a winner.

A directive from an 3 star to the Captians on the Aviation Command Screaning Board: There is no Big Navy guidance that helo bubas are excluded for CVW command.

Instead, the members have consistinatly excluded them.

So then EVERY helo pilot CO has been lesser the quality than EVERY person selected for CAG for the last 20+ years?

That is nowhere near a logical as the Navy leadership deciding that Helo guys are not eligible for CAG.

Since I know of a bunch of HS bubbas that went on to wear a star and there are a bunch of CAGs that didn't get a star, I find it difficult that swallow that every helo pilot was not competative for CAG yet some were still selected for flag.

I got my info that "Navy Leadership" decided that helo pilots did not need to select CAG to remain competitive for Flag from sitting in on a phone call between my old RAG skipper and a Wing Commodore.
The two officers were involved with the discussions with CNAP, so I will trust what they said as the truth.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Last year I gave that specific question to my skipper to submit for people who were unable to make it to NHA. I never heard anything further.
I have never seen anyone higher than an O-4 ask a question of a flag panel, probably because it's tough to make a good name out of asking the "tough" questions but easy to torpedo your rep.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not my experience at Hook, but it's probably a bigger group. Either way, you can ask a tough question without coming across as a jackass. I'm sure we've both seen examples of both.

Brett