• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be a CAG (but can't)...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
A MEF Commander has a lot more than just strike to think about, and II MEF didn't fail miserably with a non-traditional aviator at the helm.

I think that's the whole point. I would contend that despite the high rank CAG is still a pretty specialized job, at least compared to a MEF commander.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
One thing to remember is helo guys still stand _P and _R watch stations and were expected to at least generally understand what the airwing was doing. One lesson learned though was to make sure that two helo guys were not scheduled for the same time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks Pags. And thank you gentlemen for the interesting debate that came out of my question. It's actually really illuminating for me to see the various points of view and points of contention on the topic. I had no idea it was such a hot topic (not that kind...).

I like hearing about, learning about, and understanding the big picture stuff. I know I'm a young, inexperienced guy with zero fleet experience, so I really appreciate the answers and the debate going on around my question. I know my primary responsibility now is to learn my aircraft, learn how to fight it, and learn how to be a junior officer. I think it's important that us junior guys have an idea how the big picture works. I'm here to learn, and the debates are much more interesting than just a bland one-sentence answer.
And to add more to this, while the mission of the CVW may be strike, don't forget that to accomplish a strike mission the boat still has to safely get to an operating area, through contested waters, etc. To this end, CAG still has to be prepared to accomplish ASUW/ASW missions to protect the carrier/CSG or to accomplish assigned tasking that may be other than strike (IBB and CVW-1's anti-piracy ops, HADR, etc).

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
words...CAG still has to be prepared to accomplish ASUW/ASW ....more words

Bring on the CAG from VP!!!

If ever there was a Donny in Naval Aviation it's P-3 guys, not the helo types. You'll notice, and rightly so, that the P-3 types have been pretty silent during this whole conversation. It has been fascinating to see the helo vs hook guys points of view on a subject that has little to no bearing on my life.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This sparked my imagination.

VP CAG: "Gentlemen, the balloon has gone up for Iran and the President has directed a strike. I'll be strike lead as HAMMER 11 in a division of P-3Cs with a loadout of 18x vintage MK82 dumb bombs. We'll carpet bomb these fuckers back to the stone age! Spin up the Alert 30 helo to fly me to Al Udeid so I can start my three hour preflight!"

VFA CAG Staffer: "Uhh, sir..." :D

Brett

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor

If ever there was a Donny in Naval Aviation it's P-3 guys, not the helo types. You'll notice, and rightly so, that the P-3 types have been pretty silent during this whole conversation. It has been fascinating to see the helo vs hook guys points of view on a subject that has little to no bearing on my life.

Because VP is utterly fucking clueless and is still trying to be relevant.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You're making my point here. I never said it should be a pointy-nosed guy, but it has to be someone who does strike warfare (Prowlers and Hummers included). The E-2 guys control the strike. They have experience at planning and executing strike. It's their primary mission. The fact that this is lost on you proves my point. Just because some random E-2 JOs don't know what's going on just means they're your average mid-tour JO who hasn't matured in platform yet. The experienced guys know exactly what's going on, pilot or NFO.

You're right, we don't want to give up our CAG spots because we're the only ones truly qualified to fill them. You can argue this issue from a fairness point of view, but what in life (or the fleet) is fair? What you can't do is argue that RW has the same kind of experience at strike warfare as the TACAIR guys. To the extent that Naval Aviation places value in that experience, the status quo persists. Anyone who has been to the flag panel at Hook hears this question asked nearly every year. I'm not just making this stuff up to piss off the RW guys, it's the policy as articulated by multiple generations of Air Boss.

Brett

What about an EP-3 guy? Especially considering our role in various O-plans which shall remain nameless...We certainly play at Strike-Int. I'm not arguing by the way, that CAG's should be X community...just saying that "knowledge of strike" isn't the real bar to that job...or at least the only bar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But then you'd be wrong, as we've illustrated in this thread. ;) As the Strike Warfare commander in the CSG, it IS the real bar to the job - the only one that matters. At the risk of beating a dead horse, there's obviously a lot more to being CAG, but this is the fundamental requirement.

Brett

KBayDog

12745879.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Dammit, I was hoping to get to the end of this thread and be the first one to cash my checks, snap some necks, and lob a hand grenade nominating myself as the first VP CAG in 2032.

Launch the ready 2!
Shit's broken.
Launch the ops ready!
They're still troubleshooting.
Call the next crew in!
...they haven't landed yet?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
...CAG still has to be prepared to accomplish ASUW/ASW missions to protect the carrier/CSG or to accomplish assigned tasking that may be other than strike...

Actually the Sea Combat Commander will be the supported commander for these missions. CAG will be a force provider to BZ for ASW and SUW, so while he will be involved in the discussion, CAG will not be the lead for either of these mission.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about an EP-3 guy? Especially considering our role in various O-plans which shall remain nameless...We certainly play at Strike-Int. I'm not arguing by the way, that CAG's should be X community...just saying that "knowledge of strike" isn't the real bar to that job...or at least the only bar.

I think when you get to the fleet in a jet squadron you will see there is a drastic difference in the level of knowledges between what you knew as an EP-3 guy and what you will know as a Tacair guy. And I did a big part of the workups for an air wing followed by doing ops with them when they deployed as an EP-3 guy. But I was still only an observer sitting on the sidelines as a VQ guy even when doing ops overseas, it was drastically different as VAQ guy actually planning and flying the strikes.

If you want someone to command a unit you want someone who has experience in it's primary mission and the helo guys in the air wing don't have it, simple as that.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I think when you get to the fleet in a jet squadron you will see there is a drastic difference in the level of knowledges between what you knew as an EP-3 guy and what you will know as a Tacair guy. And I did a big part of the workups for an air wing followed by doing ops with them when they deployed as an EP-3 guy. But I was still only an observer sitting on the sidelines as a VQ guy even when doing ops overseas, it was drastically different as VAQ guy actually planning and flying the strikes.

If you want someone to command a unit you want someone who has experience in it's primary mission and the helo guys in the air wing don't have it, simple as that.

No argument...Again, I don't have a clue what it takes to be a CAG...that's not my argument.

I'm out of my element Donnie...time to go get drunk.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually the Sea Combat Commander will be the supported commander for these missions. CAG will be a force provider to BZ for ASW and SUW, so while he will be involved in the discussion, CAG will not be the lead for either of these mission.
^^This. How can so many aviators posting in this thread have such a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work in a CSG? This baffles me, and proves my point. Crack a pub or two before you decide to have opinions, people. :D

Brett