• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you thought YOUR NATOPS check was bad . . .

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting story. When I was at the FRS, we joked that this video was a standard student NATOPS checkride:

-ea6bflyr ;)

Bevo16

pilot
There is something about losing an engine due to fire on takeoff and pressing on that is just not quite right. That aircraft commander must not have played golf, or liked his wife, or something.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
There is something about losing an engine due to fire on takeoff and pressing on that is just not quite right.

Meh. We got 5 more. At least a couple of them have to be spares, right?

Flugelman

Contributor
B-36 Aircraft Commander to Flight Engineer: "Feather Three!"

Flight Engineer to A/C: "Which 3 do you want feathered, Sir?"

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's an old one but apropos...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Har har, but did you see the FE instrument panel. Now that is some old school stuff right there.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It's amazing to think that a flight engineer was replaced by a small CRT or LCD screen and a small box full of microprocessors. That is a job that I would consider unenviable, especially on the old bombers. B36/B52. Monitoring that many engines, I would think the numbers would all just start to blend together.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's amazing to think that a flight engineer was replaced by a small CRT or LCD screen and a small box full of microprocessors. That is a job that I would consider unenviable, especially on the old bombers. B36/B52. Monitoring that many engines, I would think the numbers would all just start to blend together.
Naaaaaaaah ... it's a piece of cake. But seriously, I initially almost changed my mind about getting out of the NAVY when I first saw the stuff depicted below -- I said "I'll never be able to do this, I'm screwed" ... and then I found out: "Hey, what do ya know?? I really CAN work this stuff -- and w/out a net". As a direct result of being an F/E, I actually became a better aircraft 'systems guy' (and a better pilot) on any subsequent bird I flew than I EVER was flyin' as an ATTACK-Bubba for UNCLE:

b747fenight.jpg

But REPLACE an F/E w/ a 'box' .... NO WAY!!! I always considered the single most important function of an F/E to serve as 'safety observer' -- another pair of eyeballs in the cockpit, if you will ... a guy to run checklists, a guy to back-up-the-back of the two heads in the window seats -- especially in a busy terminal traffic environment. The front seats all too frequently had their heads in the cockpit much (most?) of the time, so who's gonna' look outside ??? I think in the years I flew F/E, I probably picked up 80%+ of all traffic, whether called or just a visual pop-up ...

Besides, if you do away w/ the F/E ... who's gonna' go get coffee ??? :)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Besides, if you do away w/ the F/E ... who's gonna' go get coffee ??? :)

Nice :)

I have no doubt it made you a better aircraft systems guy. The amount of involvement the flight engineer had on some of those older aircraft was nothing short of amazing.

Even with the advent of TCAS, your point about visually scanning for traffic, or enabling more heads up time for the pilots is a very valid one. Flying into a busy terminal area like Atlanta or the NY TRACON area is just crazy. An extra pair of eyes could never hurt.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have no doubt it made you a better aircraft systems guy. The amount of involvement the flight engineer had on some of those older aircraft was nothing short of amazing.
I have never known an aircraft and its systems as well as I knew the DC-10 when I was plumbing (FE) on it. I could build that aircraft in my sleep. Totally different philosophies between FE and non-FE aircraft.

FE - How can we restore it or work around it to keep it all functioning?

Non-FE - Turn it off, what did we lose?

(I'm simplifying this a little but it's pretty close to the truth)