• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So who else has been "shot down" recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrail_dash

Anyone else get turned down recently? Did anyone who turned in their package AFTER October get a slot?

Timing is everything. I had a bunch of friends apply for OCS last spring...all got pilot slots first try. Seemed like if you had a pulse they'd take you. A few of them got in with 2.2 GPAs, one had to retake the pilot apptitude test twice to pass.

Fast forward 8 months later, after busting the CWO3's balls for not sending my package in when it was ready in the begining of November, it finally goes off in January. Then about 5 weeks ago I get the dreaded "letter". Apparently there are no pilot, nav, or intel slots at all. In fact when I called they laughed about intel...harder than pilot.

I've been trying to get a straight answer about the SNA situation, asked instructors at Corpus, friends at Pens. but know one seems to know. Anyone here have an idea?

by the way..the Marines have pilot slots for '04

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL36/883152/1606416/19873016.jpg

Hudson

Keep Trying, There are quite a few of us that were turned down only to reaply and get in. It looks good, shows determination. So I have heard. Improve your package in any way you can. Retake the exam, PT your butt off, and if you are still in school work your tail off and bring up your GPA. Also do some comunity service (coach, read to kids...ect) Most importantly keep trying. If you want to fly you will find a way.
Scott

contrail_dash

Desptie the fact that I got turned down, I'm not to worried. I've been told its not really a reflection upon me, but just that there is nothing really available currently. Plus I'm still rehab'n my wrist from my snowboarding accident in Jan. So it really would have sucked if I got the slot only to tell them I can't even do a single pushup right now.

let my wrist heal, get strong again, reapply, it'll all work out!

19873016.jpg

Hudson

Well, that's what you get for snowboarding. Sorry couldn't help it I coach ski Racing. Good luck in your rehab. Saw your xrays looks nasty. I have been lucky with twenty years of skiing and no major injuries thus far. I have pulled bruised and spranged just about every joint but no tears. No pins or plates.
Good Luck

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Contrail_dash: My app went in during the first week of November. In mid March I got accepted for SNA. Hudson nailed it right on -- keep trying and improve everything in your application.
There's a lot of bad advice out there. You don't have to know admirals, have 10,000 hours of flight time, and have the last name of Bush to get a flight slot. They are all wrong. Even when slots are "filled", there are people who get hurt like you did or who drop out for other reasons. Just position yourself with the absolute best application you can put forward.

Study your ass off. PT like crazy. Make yourself the best candidate in every aspect. If you want this more than anything else in the world, you can do it. It may seem unlikely at times, but it is possible. Best of luck to you,
-Greg

contrail_dash

Originally posted by FlyFast
nothing happened, there was not even a snowboarding accident, right?

You are kidding right? Yeah I got turned down, and YES I did fall 8 feet off a rail and shatter my wrist back on January 6th. And I use the term "shattered" becuase thats what I did....my surgery required 8 screws, a plate, and bone graf from my right shin.

22654007.jpg

22653641.jpg

All my notes are photo copies of fellow student' notes. I've had to dictate all my exams so far, my finals will be the first tests I take in which I can acutally write. My last semester in college has become the most challenging becuase of this damn injury. I'm just now able to write again, and only short sentences at that. Got therapy three days a week, can't even do a single pushup yet. I finally got to run last week for the first time since December.

Talk about overcomming a hurdle...I hope I can pull a decent GPA this semester and graduate. Let alone get accepted into OCS.

Adversity...been there done that...

19873016.jpg

Hudson

Learn to write with the other hand. I used to do it when i was board in lectures. I was never able to write very well or fast but I could read it. Adapt and overcome. Your finals are about here but have you thought about getting one of those little tape recorders and recording lectures?
Good Luck

Hudson

Oh ya,
I was thinking that if you wanted to go with flyfast you could say your scar is a freekish birthmark and when they question your xray you could tell them you have been eating a lot of iron lately. You know spinach and asperagus.

Status
Not open for further replies.