• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So Long, Moonlighters

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA-203 Forever said:
Sadly, The Moonlighters of VMFA(AW)-332 at Beaufort has recieved the axe. Also an unnamed squadron in California (Probably VMFA-134 or VMFA(AW)-121) has also gotten the chop.

VMFA(AW)-332 will disband by March 2007 :(

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_news/story/5753295p-5146439c.html

Anyone know the unnamed CA squadron?

Adam
"VFA-203 Forever"
-Go Gators! VMFA-142-
If you ask me, it's a good first step. I'm already on record saying that Marines have no business flying fixed wing aircraft - just an opinion. ;)

Brett

FLY_USMC

pilot
I say ditch the D and F models, I'd like records to show that I recommend the Navy have an entirely single-seat force:)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
I say ditch the D and F models, I'd like records to show that I recommend the Navy have an entirely single-seat force:)

Brett's a Prowler guy; he wouldn't care.:icon_tong

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
Yeah, let's get rid of all those Navy D models. Nice work, Snuggles. :D

Brett

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
Tell me if I am out of the box on this one, but with the capabilities that the D has during a recon role in regards to just imagery of the battle space I would venture to say that it is an asset that the MAGTF commander can't afford to lose. On another note, I have heard lots of rumors about the shutting down of VMFAs. Is it finally true? I know that the JSF will start to replace the Hornet but I think we are just too far away at this point to start shutting down squadrons. Just my point of view from a fellow trigger puller...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
RLSki said:
On another note, I have heard lots of rumors about the shutting down of VMFAs. Is it finally true? I know that the JSF will start to replace the Hornet but I think we are just too far away at this point to start shutting down squadrons.
you could ask the fellas in the Hornet shop down the hall at MAWTS that question for a better answer than the guess you would get in this forum

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Brett327 said:
If you ask me, it's a good first step. I'm already on record saying that Marines have no business flying fixed wing aircraft - just an opinion. ;)

Brett

Just out of curiosity, why would you think that? Who are we going to get CAS support from? Or any other function of air that we would be missing?

We have learned long ago and many times over that if we rely extensively on other services for support, we get fvcked at the drive thru.

There are some things we don't have that we have no choice but to get from the air force and navy. Strat-tanking and sea based platforms for instance. We have to beg and plead for those 9 times out of 10 and end up at their mercy. Do you think we want to do that for F/W airpower, too?

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
Jarhead, thanks for the heads up. I will venture down to the TACAIR Dept to get a definitive answer. I was just looking for a quick answer/discussion point over the forum.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Just out of curiosity, why would you think that? Who are we going to get CAS support from? Or any other function of air that we would be missing?

We have learned long ago and many times over that if we rely extensively on other services for support, we get fvcked at the drive thru.

There are some things we don't have that we have no choice but to get from the air force and navy. Strat-tanking and sea based platforms for instance. We have to beg and plead for those 9 times out of 10 and end up at their mercy. Do you think we want to do that for F/W airpower, too?
Oh, it's a completely baseless, good natured ribbing which I developed, coincidentally, while planning with Marines in Oki. ;)

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Brett327 said:
Oh, it's a completely baseless, good natured ribbing which I developed, coincidentally, while planning with Marines in Oki. ;)

Brett

Planning for what? I may have been there. Let me know if you're coming down in the next 36.2 days. After that, adios! I'll be back in the cockpit.