• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Snub-nose Revolver

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A NIB Smith & Wesson model 642 Centennial Airweight (in .38 Special) costs @ $375 and is well made. It weights in @ 15 oz.

A NIB Taurus Model 651 (in .357) costs @ $290 and is functional. It weights in @ 25 oz.

I hold no brief for either Smith & Wesson or Taurus. I have owned several of each over the years and still have a couple of Smiths. I currently own no Taurus and do not plan on adding one in the future. I think Taurus produces functional firearms, but there is a reason why they are at the lower end of the cost spectrum. To be a "concealed carry" insurance policy, it has to be totally reliable, concealable (obviously) AND light enough to be easily carried --- otherwise it will remain at home and be of no use in an out of the home, street emergency.

Suggestion: Many of you guys always go for the "cheapest" when considering firearms purchases. Cheap is not a virtue, unless it is born of necessity. I understand money, cost, reality and all, but if you are purchasing a "life insurance policy" in the guise of a 5 shot concealable revolver --- you want the highest quality you can afford.

Look at it this way --- we don't like it when government contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder --- why would you want to employ the same standard in a personal protection handgun???

Buy the best insurance policy you can afford. Is your life really worth the $85 differential???

These are things you need to consider when choosing the handgun that may save the one who loves you --- or those who you love. Especially on Valentine's Day ..... :icon_hear

SgtUSMC

A4sforever,

The police armorer who gave me the advise had me under the impression that the S&W was a little nicer, but that you are mainly just paying for a name. I also got the impression that with a .38 or .357 kick having a weapon that light might actually be more of a burden if you have to pull it and put accurate repeat shots on centermass. What's more, I have been unable to find an airlite going for that cheap, or even close to it. I would certainly pay the difference of only a $85, but did not see the rationality in spending over $550 when I can get a Taurus for just under $300. Particularly considering I am going to go and sink another god knows how much on the training to get a certificate for the CCW. I guess I just mean I have not earned that coveted commission yet, so money is an object in my case.

Could you maybe elaborate with your experiences with Taurus v. S&W as to why you feel that way? I got the impression that a Taurus was more than a realiable weapon for self defense, especially considering it would be a revolver. I was originally going for a semi for more rounds, but was convinced the added reliability of a revolver would be better for a concealed carry and smaller and even if you got a bad round their was no immediate action - just keep squeezing to the next rounds 'till the scumbag is down.:D
I don't really care if it does not have a .357 capacity, that was just an added bonus.

Know anywhere that they are really selling that S&W .38 airlight concealed hammer that cheap in on online auction/gun show? I also liked the internal lock that the Taurus has because I got two little ones. Thanks for your input.

Fly Navy,

Definately not in MA, but let's just say where I live the riff raff seems to be expanding out of the city. I am trying to get to OCS this summer so did not want to move yet, but if not I will be getting the f*ck out of place and packing a snubnose.

S/F

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I would look at Charter Arms, 44 spcl Bulldog (16 OZ) Around $340

or the 38 SPCL Off-duty/DA at 12 OZ, about $300.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SgtUSMC said:
.......What's more, I have been unable to find an airlite going for that cheap, or even close to it. I would certainly pay the difference of only a $85......Know anywhere that they are really selling that S&W .38 airlight concealed hammer that cheap in on online auction/gun show? I also liked the internal lock that the Taurus has because I got two little ones. Thanks for your input.

Yeah ... check the same website you put in your previous post ... i.e., gunbrokers.com. Type S&W 642 in the search window and away you go .... that's where I searched for prices for the Model 642 as I figured you would have looked on the web auction that you posted. :)

S&W Smith & Wesson 642 38spl 2" Stainless
p.gif
b.gif
Auction # 43873545

It's on there right now for $347 "buy it now" .... 17 minutes to go. They are out there ...

pix2645213140.jpg

Good luck ... one more thing:

You shoot to stop the attack. You don't keep "squeezing to the next rounds (sic) 'till the scumbag is down..." Don't even think in those words. Don't get into the habit of throwing raw meat out there for the trial lawyers to come back at you with --- especially when it's in your own words. Stay safe .... :)

SgtUSMC

A4s, thanks again - I must have been using the wrong keywords for searching for it at gunbrokers. And I just meant that if you get a bad round in a revolver you can just move on to the next to the next round by continuing to pull the trigger, no worries.

S/F

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Bud's is cool. I live 15 miles from there, and fortunately, it is also a shooting range, the only one for over 50 MILES. I definitely support supporting this shop!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
Bud's is cool. I live 15 miles from there, and fortunately, it is also a shooting range, the only one for over 50 MILES. I definitely support supporting this shop!

My range is 40 miles away, what's your b!tch?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Squeeze and/or Metro:

Ever do any mail orders with "Bud's" .... is "Bud" easy and painless to do FFL and firearms transfers with ??? The prices look outstanding. Do they have what they advertise in stock ???

Thanks......

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Squeeze and/or Metro:

Ever do any mail orders with "Bud's" .... is "Bud" easy and painless to do FFL and firearms transfers with ??? The prices look outstanding. Do they have what they advertise in stock ???

Thanks......

Yes, yes, and they only list what they have in the store (ie. they list particular guns only... not model ranges or whatnot). As always, the biggest hassle with ordering online is finding a cooperative 01 local.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
Yes, yes, and they only list what they have in the store (ie. they list particular guns only... not model ranges or whatnot). As always, the biggest hassle with ordering online is finding a cooperative 01 local.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks, again. I have a retired Marine O-6 who runs the local pawn shop and he is my go-to guy for modern, non C&R stuff. With FFL license faxes acceptable now --- the whole process has moved back toward .... sanity ??? :)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Bud himself is actually a really nice guy, see him there usually every time I go to the range or to get something. They have a ****load of stuff in stock, and in my experience, whatever they list, they have in stock. Like squeeze said, they don't often list anything that "they can get, but isn't in right now," like most gun stores do.

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
A4sForever said:
Suggestion: Many of you guys always go for the "cheapest" when considering firearms purchases. Cheap is not a virtue, unless it is born of necessity. I understand money, cost, reality and all, but if you are purchasing a "life insurance policy" in the guise of a 5 shot concealable revolver --- you want the highest quality you can afford.

I whole-heartedly agree with not trusting one's life to "cheap". If I'm making a life insurance claim, I'm reaching for the USP45c not the 38 snub. I am more just looking for something fun to shoot, and use all the 38special rounds I'm sitting on. It looks like Charter Arms makes a low-end 5 shooter. How are their products?