• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Snowboarding during DCOIC

ElectricaRoo

ElectricaRoo
I'm trying to figure out when to go to DCOIC, but I have a few questions.

1. Is there enough free time to get away for the weekend to go snowboarding?
  2. Are there decent ski facilities within drive/bus distance of Newport, RI?
  3. When is the best time for skiing/snowboarding in the Northeast (best month)?
  4. Are you authorized a rental car when you go there (if you're flying in)?
Thank you in advance!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
1. I'll let someone with recent experience answer this.
2. It depends on what your definition of "decent" is and what you consider acceptable drive/bus distance.
3. Generally not May through October. Any other time is weather dependent.
4. I'm not sure, but I seriously doubt it.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
you'll probably have to drive to ME/NH/VT to get some decent skiing in, which could be upwards of a 5 hour drive. If you've got a few days off and a few buds, it might be worth it...In Maine, I recommend Sugarloaf and Sunday River, in NH, Attitash Bear Peak and Bretton Woods, and in VT, Killington, Mt Snow...all have some decent military rates, esp. attitash...Like I said, you'll have to be willing to make a bit of a drive, but it will be worth it...From my experience, the best time to go in New England is from mid January to early March. Hope this helps

Devil Duck

1. You'll be off from around 1600 Friday through 1800 Sunday. You must request special liberty to travel beyond a certain radius - believe outside 150 miles.
4. You are not authorized a rental car. There will be plenty of folks there with cars.

I went through last May. Info may have changed, but probably not.

dephyler

Contributor
I knew folks that got rentals, but ski resorts are definitely outside of the liberty radius. There's a hill called "Blue Hill" in Dedham, MA (inside liberty radius), but it's literally a hill and not worth the trouble. This past winter was a freak, but the season started early to mid December. Usually Jan-early April is good.