• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO: What to fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sludge31

I have been selected SNFO and after all of the post select celebration I began to ponder which aircraft I will prefer to select. I know what is out there (18 Fs, prowlers, vikings, orions, hawkeyes), but I would like some insight/opinions/descriptions of the duties performed by the NFO on each aircraft. Also, any gouge on the fringe benefits of each community (EX. Orions/ Per Diem, Land based deployment) and longevity of each aircraft (Prowler vs. EA18G Growler? When?) I know that Tomcats are out, but when will the 18Fs start to increase in number? Right now I would choose Super Hornets, but I love the great Northwest (Whidbey Island, WA) and I am curious about E2-Cs. Don't know whether to fly "Glamour" or "Hammer". I know it depends on where I rank in my class...needs of the Navy, etc.
I have all kinds of questions running around in my head. Thought I would toss a few out there.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm just a helo bubba, so don't work a lot directly with NFOs. Personally, though, if I were a FO, I'd go EA-6Bs. The aircraft exists so that the ECMOs can do their jobs, and the pilot is there to put the plane where it needs to be to do that mission. The EA-6B ECMOs I know got to go to a lot of Top Secret-type training on threat systems and the like. Plus, whenever something happens, there are so few EA6s, you stand a good chance of going, if that's what you're interested in doing.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Thats why I chose EA-6Bs. And I think I will work better with a 4-man crew. We're being told that Navy ECMO's being trained now will be switched to the EA-18G later on in their career. So thats something to think about. (Hopefully the Marines will follow)
Anyway, I'm only at the RAG, but so far I can tell you that being an ECMO entails working with a strike package and developing a mission to deny and degrade the enemy's air defenses and communications so that our strike/fighters can do their business. And other cool stuff too obviously... We have two (3) seats to learn. The front seat for nav, comms, HARMs, etc, and the back two seats for jamming.
Congrats, and good luck.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Just don't get your hopes up for Prowlers... a lot of SNFOs get disqualed from them because of their sitting height. I know I was hoping for that early and it happened to me

sludge31

Thanks for the gouge...that is exactly the type of stuff I am looking for...prowlers sound really cool...especially if they are training FOs for 18G transition...what is the limit on seating height...I am 6'2"...will that disqualify me for any other aircraft?...Where are the prowler squadrons located (FRA/RAG)?...My recruiter said that he, too, chose EA-6s because they are always involved...anyone else have info on 18Fs?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Anthro is funny. It's not so much your absolute height, but your measurements. I.e. torso height, femur length, etc, that usually make the difference. You'll get measured by a flt doc or physiologist as you go through the program and they should be able to tell you is you are DQ'ed from a platform.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
phasing out...

no one talks about this (well, at least i didn't see it here), but isn't the prowlers phasing out now??? sorry to drop the ball like this, but i thought i read that the f-35's will replace like 4 different planes in the navy/usmc and like 3 in the af.

sludge31

Yeah, prowlers are phasing out...going to the EA18 "Growler"...modified FA18 superhornet (I think)...at least that is what I hear...not sure about the F35JSF.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody selecting right now needs to worry about F-35s or "Growlers" (or MMA for that matter). These planes won't hit the fleet for years.

Sludge 13- talk to your Instructors when you get that far, they have the best insight, having fleeted up at least once.

ordinary_guy

When will the MMA hit the fleet? Will it be the Lockheed souped-up P-3 or the Boeing 737? Also, if I get a certain platform during flight school, will I likely be out of a job after a few years? For example, when the Prowlers are phased out, are all of those NFO's going to be funneled into Growlers? It sounds like over the next several years, there may be too many NFO's and too few aircraft. Am I reading things correctly? Input from someone actually in the fleet (instead of a spitballing civilian like myself) would be appreciated. I have a July OCS date to give you an idea of my timeline. Thanks.

ordinary_guy

It wouldn't surprise me if the JSF was a one-seater. As automation and computer systems improve, aircraft crews will continue to shrink. This phenomenon has been illustrated by the airlines. Fifteen years ago, many planes carried a flight engineer in addition to the two pilots. Now, almost all aircraft--with the exception of 747's--carry just the two pilots. It seems that enlisted airmen are being the most affected by this as they lose their slots in S-3's and might see the end of flight engineer billets in several years.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Yeah, but the airlines don't carry more and more sophisticated weapons systems. Thats the difference. Theres been a lot of discussion on the subject, both sides have good points...

Status
Not open for further replies.