• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA

gpcbsbll2

Hey guys,

I did a search and could not find any recent posts on this topic.

I am in the BDCP program with an NFO contract and I was wondering how difficult it is to switch from SNFO to SNA? I have had some people tell me it is easy and others tell me it is difficult. Just looking for some clarification. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Just wondering, but why didn't you consider this before you applied? And, aren't you already receiving money from the government b/c of the BDCP program?

I'm guessing there have been other people with the same question as yours, and the answer they found is probably "no."

edit: The reason I don't think you have a chance changing your designator is that you're at the very beginning of the pipeline. You've signed the paperwork, but you haven't actually done anything. Moving you might have been easier in a better economy when the military didn't have quite as many applicants, however, these days the number of incoming candidates is closely watched.

gpcbsbll2

Well I did consider this before I applied but my main concern was just getting in and becoming a naval officer. So I applied for both SNA and SNFO and got rejected for SNA and picked up for SNFO. I am still very glad that I signed as an NFO. I think it will be a great job. I just still have a that desire to be a pilot and was just curious if I might have an opportunity to change at some point. Either way I know I will be happy though. And yes I am receiving money.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Just wondering, but why didn't you consider this before you applied? And, aren't you already receiving money from the government b/c of the BDCP program?

I'm guessing there have been other people with the same question as yours, and the answer they found is probably "no."

edit: The reason I don't think you have a chance changing your designator is that you're at the very beginning of the pipeline. You've signed the paperwork, but you haven't actually done anything. Moving you might have been easier in a better economy when the military didn't have quite as many applicants, however, these days the number of incoming candidates is closely watched.

This is about two words away from a total buddy fuck. The fact is that only a recruiter is qualified to help this guy out.

It would be one thing if you were pointing him to some sort of instruction, or could speak from personal experience, or even knew a guy who knew a guy who's sister's brother tried this and failed. But you don't... you just have a bunch of guesses, probablies, and I don't thinks.

Interesting response from the same guy who posted:
"To any and all applicants like I once was, the single most important thing I can name that got me here is persistence."
... in his profile.

For the OP take HALs advice, ask the recruiter. If you really want to be a pilot don't stop looking for a way. It may take you until after your a qualified NFO and a sea tour but there are ways to transition all the way from before you start API until after you get your wings. You're on the right path by starting here... Good luck.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
This is about two words away from a total buddy fuck. The fact is that only a recruiter is qualified to help this guy out.
You got me all wrong. I'm not suggesting he give up, by any stretch.

I'm just jealous because the Navy didn't pay me to go to school and then pay me while I reconsidered my career.

And in the end, you're still right. I apologize for my oversight.

gpcbsbll2

Thanks for the advice. I talked to my recruiter and he said that since the BDCP program is shutting down, I will not be able to change my designator while I am still in the program. So I guess it just boils down to me busting my butt and not losing sight of that goal.

And I have heard about people switching before they go to API. How would you do that? Do they just switch after OCS or something?

statesman

pilot
I answered a similar question from someone who PM'd me. I dont know the specifics of change of pipeline before starting API, I have just heard of it happening from the staff over at 633, however I can point you to here:

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder2/1500.4GwCH-2.pdf

This is the CNATRA training instruction. In there you will find out to do a change of pipeline request. You don't fall under CNATRA until you actually get to the wing, once you have finished API. Before that you are at Naval Aviation Schools Command (NASC), which falls under Naval Education and Training Command (NETC).

That said I dont know if you can use a CNATRA instruction before you graduate to do a change of pipeline, but you could ask when you get there. Otherwise you might have to wait until you get into or graduate primary. Generally speaking to do a pipeline change from SNFO to SNA you are going to have to be a rock star, but it can be done, I personally know one person who did it.

As always though its going to be based on need. Good luck.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
After reading the instruction it appears you do a Program Change (Section 901) before you reach the wing (basically before API, at API, and after) and once you are already at the wing they have you include more information. That was my interpretation of the instruction and I could be wrong.

The pipeline change is transitioning from one pipeline to another. Such as E-2 to P-3.

statesman

pilot
TBC,
You're right you're looking at a designator / program change... Pipeline change was poor terminology.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
TBC,
You're right you're looking at a designator / program change... Pipeline change was poor terminology.

They are both there and within close proximity Section 901 (Program Change) and 903 (Pipeline Change) so I didn't want anyone to get confused. Thanks for all the great info and clarification!

Stick

pilot
I can't speak for right now, but last year after selections came out some guys at my ROTC unit just asked to change from SNFO to SNA. The command called whoever it is that decides what you are getting and they switched the guys. There were guys in the ROTC program and STA-21 guys who switched. So maybe if you just had your recruiter call and ask it could happen. The guys didn't think it would happen with the high numbers of guys going in the pipeline right now, but it worked out for them. Other than that I would go with statesmans advice.

UserName

I don't know if it is still the same now but there was a pretty clear way to get the transfer when I was going through API. The deal was that if an SNFO got the highest scores in the entire class he was given the choice of switching to SNA. I remember it worked out for one guy a few classes ahead of me.
Then I heard about sort of a heartbreaker. Going into the last test there was an SNFO(who really busted his ass during API to get to switch) and an SNA pretty much tied for the highest average. Everyone knew the SNA could have just missed a couple extra questions to give the FO a shot. For whatever reason he wouldn't and the SNFO ended up in second place and stuck as an NFO.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Except for the SNA not giving the SNFO the shot (which IS a buddy fuck), that's the coolest thing I've ever heard. Everything I've read up until now has made it seem that the economy/recent situation is not friendly to switching from SNFO to SNA, which is one of the main reasons I was petrified to apply for SNFO as well as SNA (back when). Of course, these are hefty odds, but the fact is there's still a chance.

Good post, username. I've got some friends to notify.