• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA

WEGL

I couldn't find any recent information on SNFO to SNA transitions. I know in the past it has been possible, sometimes by being in the top 10% of your API class and at others by simply requesting it, all about the the "needs of the navy" I know. Does anyone have any recent info about this? Thanks.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Straight from the front office
Right now, if you get top 10% in API and your physically qualified then you can switch.
Don't know when that will change but I'm sure it will some time.

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
word in the Marine Corps at least is that it will be almost impossible to pull the switch in the next several years due to an influx of academy types into the program taking the pilot slots left over from occ/plc progs.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
We had 2 NFOs switch to Pilot from my API class. The held the #1 and #5 position in the class. Be that top person and be physically qualified and you can do it.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
hornetframer said:
We had 2 NFOs switch to Pilot from my API class. The held the #1 and #5 position in the class. Be that top person and be physically qualified and you can do it.

How recent was this API class and were they Navy or Marines? I talked to a Marine Capt. (this was like yesterday) who is an instructor down in P'Cola and he said he never has heard or seen such a thing. Scuttlebutt runs rampant in the military.

NavyLonghorn

I dont wanna be a jerk or anything, but it always seemed kinda insulting to the NFO community that half the guys at API wanted to switch over. Its an important job, a good job, and I have some buddies I really respect who do it.

If you wanna be a pilot... why did you take an NFO slot? Why not save it for the kid who actually wants to do it? Just kinda perplexed.

NavyVance said:
...If you wanna be a pilot... why did you take an NFO slot?...

Probably not so much of a "take" issue and instead more of a "given" issue. May be related to that whole 'first choice-second choice' thing. :icon_wink

jai5w4:icon_smil

Ex Rigger

pilot
ColdSteel said:
How recent was this API class and were they Navy or Marines? I talked to a Marine Capt. (this was like yesterday) who is an instructor down in P'Cola and he said he never has heard or seen such a thing. Scuttlebutt runs rampant in the military.
This is not scuttlebutt, it's true, so that must mean that it doesn't apply to the Marines.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
NavyVance said:
I dont wanna be a jerk or anything, but it always seemed kinda insulting to the NFO community that half the guys at API wanted to switch over. Its an important job, a good job, and I have some buddies I really respect who do it.

If you wanna be a pilot... why did you take an NFO slot? Why not save it for the kid who actually wants to do it? Just kinda perplexed.

I'm currently pro-rec'd as an NFO, and my first choice was pilot. I'm not bitter about it or anything, when I got the phone call telling me i still jumped for joy. These are two jobs that I really want to do, it's just one of them I'd like a little bit more. My view on it is that if given the opportunity to switch, I'd probably take a shot at it. If for some reason I can't switch, so be it, I'm still happy. It's the same idea as a SWO who lat xfers to aviation. For some reason or another, when the person applied originally, the billet wasn't there. When it opens up, there's no reason for them not to apply simply because they didn't get it originally.

Of course, taking an NFO contract for the sole reason that you hope to get an SNA transfer is a load of @#$%. When you put NFO as your second choice it had better be because you want to be an NFO.

NavyLonghorn

jai5w4 said:
Probably not so much of a "take" issue and instead more of a "given" issue. May be related to that whole 'first choice-second choice' thing. :icon_wink

jai5w4:icon_smil

I guess its a different story when you are already commited. I was thinking more for off the street kinda folx.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
This happened for 2 navy guys (1 prior army where there were no slots for pilots at the time and the other STA-21 were his paperwork was jacked up by NOMI) and it was recently like Sep-Oct 2005.

Ex Rigger

pilot
The STA-21 guy I know that switched got 100's on all his tests and then when he graduated from API they switched him, I don't know about the NOMI guy though.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
It is probably the same guy. He was the first (that we were told) person that has ever aced API. But anyway, the top 10% able to redesignate is alive and well.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
hornetframer said:
It is probably the same guy. He was the first (that we were told) person that has ever aced API. But anyway, the top 10% able to redesignate is alive and well.

Yeah but it applies to what service? Navy? Marines? Or both?