• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA transfer possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankee600

Hey guys,

I just got picked up for NFO although pilot was my first choice...I have heard rumors that it is possible to transfer from snfo to sna once you get down to pensacola. Anybody know if there is any truth to this rumor? Are there any other ways to transfer from nfo to pilot during my career?
Thanks for any help you can give

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you meet all the physical and ASTB testing requirements and if you are in the top 10% of your API class, then it is possible to convert to SNA from SNFO. However, you must meet all criteria for SNA to put your package in.

Dave

radio_freq

EODDave,
Does this mean age too? If your physically and academically qualified but over the age do you still have a shot? Thanks.
G

grouch

Yankee, I'll let you know when I get there. I am gonna shoot for that very thing. I have an age issue though. Hope it doesn't kill my chances.

bart27

Yankee: Congrats...when did you submit? How long did you have to wait before receiving word? What were your scores if you don't mind me asking and did you have any flight time? Have they given you an OCS date? Sorry for all the questions, but once again congrats!

Yankee600

thanks bart

I'm a senior in the NROTC program at RPI so I don't have to go to OCS, not sure how different the selection requirements are. I graduate and get commissioned in May and i'll be goin down to pensacola soon after that I assume.

I had 6's for the 3 NFO scores on my ASTB and a gpa of 2.6 with a degree in industrial engineering and an excellent high PRT score. I also have a private pilot license with 130 hours.
Seems like it's more competetive this year than it's been in my 4 years of college since i've never seen anybody not get pilot who wanted it until this year. Some of my friends with slightly better grades and similiar astb scores didn't get aviation slots and have to go swo so I think the pilot license might have helped.

Good luck down there grouch, let me know how that goes! I have a friend who had an age issue and got around it last year so maybe you will be lucky.

Lewisinhk

its called: "lateral entry" i think. once you satisfy the tour requirements as an nfo you can go back and retrain as a fo. at least thats the rumour i have heard.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Guy's there is no waiver for age, unless you are a prior. Then the waiver is year for year up to 4 years but not to exceed 31 yrs old. ie must be commisioned before 31st B-day.

Dave

Phiman

Yankee, just curious what all did you have to send in when you service selected. Is it just a dream sheet or do you have to attach your transcripts or just a gpa or what? Thanks.

gmlc112

Hey Yankee, the transfer is possible but very unlikely. I'm in API right now and the instructors told me that that hasn't happened in a very long time. You also cannot transfer when your in OCS, the best chance you'll have is later on in your career. Good luck with everything

Yankee600

Phiman, my service selection package was sent by my advisor, an LT at my unit, i'm not exactly sure of everything that is included. I know they send ASTB scores, PRT scores, gpa, a recommendation from the CO, and a sheet with other info that includes grades in naval science classes and mandatory classes like calc and physics, your major, your minor if you have one, swim qualifications, and some other stuff. I'm not sure whether or not they send the full transcripts. On and they also send a sheet with your top three unrestricted line choices, a restricted line choice, and a few sentences written by you in the remarks section about why these are your choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.