• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO IFS In Pensacola

Status
Not open for further replies.

grishajb

I am graduating and being commissioned this May. There are five people in my class going aviation and I am the only SNFO. Because they are SNAs they are staying attached to my NROTC unit while they do their IFS at a local civilian airport, but I am being sent to Pensacola to do mine for budget reasons so I've been told by one of my LTs. My orders say I'm supposed to report NLT than 09 JUL 04 to N88 Students & TAR Trainees in Pensacola. Anybody know what this is? I know the IFS thing is something new for SNFOs and was wondering if there was any gouge anyone could give me about doing IFS as SNFO down in P'cola. Since I'll already be down in P'cola does that mean that I'll probably start API fairly quickly after my IFS. Moreover, will I even be starting IFS as soon as I get to P'cola or is there a long line for that? Really all I've heard is that I'd either being flying at P'cola in Tomahawks or at Destin/Ft.Walton in 172s whereas my other aviation classmates will be in Diamond Katanas back here in the Nashville area. Thanks for any info.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I have to report on the 4th of June and as far as I know we aren't doing IFS at all as SNFOs this year for budget reasons. And when it comes to budget lets face it, the Academy gets it all. Supposedly I start API as soon as I can, don't know what the time is for stash now.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
Well, that's not cool. I wanted to do NFO IFS and get some experience before Primary. I report June 4th too.

cesteele

I am an SNFO waiting to class up for API. I have been down here since January.

For those wondernig about IFS and class up dates:

1. The word we have been given is that there is no longer any money for SNFO's this fiscal year and therefore no more will be going. Not every SNFO goes anyway. The way it did work, was the IFS office would call Flight Management (that is who is in charge of us) and tell them when they had room for a SNFO. If the Navy had the money, then they would randomly pick an SNFO from the A-pool to go to IFS. By the way, the A-pool is everyone that is waiting around to start API.

2. If you all are hoping to start API as soon as you get here, keep on dreaming. I arrived in mid January and I am not classing up until late May. Keep in mind that we are in the Navy and everything changes. Literally things change here week by week. I was originally supposed to class up in March and the week before my date, we found out that no more SNFO's were going to the F-14 pipeline and thefore that pushed us all back into June/July. A couple weeks later my date got moved back up to May. So if I were you I would not get your hopes up. There are about 200-300 people in the A-pool now, with OCS classes graduating every week and a bunch of Ensigns getting Commissioned in May via Academy and ROTC. Just get your books as soon as you get here and start studying is my suggestion. Yours and my time will come eventually. Enjoy the beaches and the weather also!

Good luck!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" --Phil 4:13

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cesteele,

We heard down at the Recruting Districts that they were not going to be sending aviators in the API pool to OHARP. Sure enough we haven't seen any. So what is up with that? I need some ensign pups to bounce on my knee and tell sea stories to. I could see it if there was a chance the sked would change and they needed to fill out a class, but that clearly isn't happening.

cesteele

Wink,
Your mention of it is the first I have heard of OHARP until today. My buddy got stashed and on his sheet it said something about OHARP. It must be one of those things that is out there, but if you do not know about, no one is going to let you know. So you flew S-3's? I flew with VS-38 during one of my summer cruises. No good sea stories to tell a salty dog like yourself. I'm sure everyone knows about the F-14 going away. The last FO to get a spot just got winged a couple weeks ago. Only people going S-3's are those that get ANTHRO'd from the Prowler. Basically for FO's now, once you get to Advanced it's either the Prowler or the Hornet. That's about all she wrote...

CS

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OHARP is stashed ensigns assigned to local officer recruiting office. Not a bad deal if there is one in your home or where you went to school. Most times you work easy hours, answer the phones, tell applicants about OCS or your past experiences. Evenings and weekends you hang with your old buds. Guys going to OCS really love to hear from OHARP ensigns. We love to have you in the NRDs. Just ask if it is available to you. If it is then call the NRD you want to go to and set it up between the NRD and your pool boss in Pcola. Better still, call the NRD first and then go to the boss and tell him you got a request and need oders to go.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
What exactly is IFS anyway? Sorry to ask such a silly question, but I'm a retread who's waiting for orders off my ship so I can start school down there.

Also, my aviation detailer said they want me down there ASAP. Do you think that means they want me down there for stash duty? If they just want me out of the SWOs' grubby little hands I could definitely handle some OHARP. The only bad thing about any sort of stash duty for me is that O-3 is quickly approaching and I don't want to waste any career time I don't have to.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
you may find this in the required reading forum:

IFS pertains to pilots. if you don't know what it is, you will do it. the nav pays for 25 hours of civilian flight time to make sure you 'have what it takes' (read: saves the nav money if you DOR/attrite early)

stash: yeah, you'll be here for up to 20/25 weeks waiting to class up. it happens. everyone else is here for that long, so I doubt it will affect your career progression since we all jump through the same hoops.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yes, but there has been an NFO IFS program in place. It's 13.5 hours with a lot of that on instruments. I know I went through it last summer along with others on an experimental basis... I don't know what the status of the program is now, but there's a good chance people will be taken into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.