• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA to SNFO after NPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff29

Science Project
Just got NPQ'd for eyesight problems and am wondering if anyone out there has (or knows anyone who has) transferred from SNA to SNFO. I'm not sure yet if it's even an option that will be available to me, but just thought I would see (no pun intended) if there is any experience out there. Thanks.

saltpeter

If your commisioned then you need to contact your detailer at Millington. Since your not attached to a community yet, ask your command who you need to speak with. Your C.O. not doubt will do everything to help you and make the process as painless as possible. Detailers phone numbers are listed in the back of the Perspective, (magazine), online and there's usually one laying around the command spaces.
If you applying at the recruiting ofice, then your recruiter will simply call Millington for you and have your #1 choice changed. He'll take care of any letter that needs to be written.

Jeff29

Science Project
saltpeter said:
If your commisioned then you need to contact your detailer at Millington. Since your not attached to a community yet, ask your command who you need to speak with. Your C.O. not doubt will do everything to help you and make the process as painless as possible. Detailers phone numbers are listed in the back of the Perspective, (magazine), online and there's usually one laying around the command spaces.
If you applying at the recruiting ofice, then your recruiter will simply call Millington for you and have your #1 choice changed. He'll take care of any letter that needs to be written.
Sorry, I guess I should have given more details. I finished the T-2 syllabus in Meridian, was med-down for a year, started up with T-45's, but was just NPQ'd. I know the actual process for redesignating (as I mentioned before, I'm not sure they will even give me the option), but I am just wondering if there are any guys out there who have gone from pilot to NFO. Thanks Again.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, provided you're still PQ for NFO, I should think you'd be a shoo-in. You obviously have the aeronautics down, so it's just a matter of retreading through VT-4 or 10 for the navigation side (you won't have to do the whole syllabus) and then on to either strike/fighter at -86, maritime at Randolph, or E-2s at Norfolk. Seen it happen (firsthand). Given a choice, they'll likely choose to keep you rather than flush your training down the can.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, they have been flushing guys. That is why I doubt you will hear of any fairly recent cases. Hopefully they are done with that. It has happened in the past. Run it up the flag pole and let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Jeff29

Science Project
UInavy said:
Just out of curiosity, what issues were people having with PRK corrected vision down the line? I'm going on 5 years and wondering what to be on the lookout for.
As far as my situation, I think we probably talked about it a few times (surgeon screw up). As far as guys with other problems, there is normal regression, which is not a big deal (i.e. going from 20/20 to 20/25 over a few years). The problem with people getting PRK at a young age, however, relates to the fact that most people's eyes are growing (and thus changing) until they are in their early 20's. At 18, I was 20/20; at 20, I was 20/70; at 23, I was 20/200. Some of that was due to computers and a lot of studying, but not all of it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have much to worry about.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
As far as my situation, I think we probably talked about it a few times (surgeon screw up). As far as guys with other problems, there is normal regression, which is not a big deal (i.e. going from 20/20 to 20/25 over a few years). The problem with people getting PRK at a young age, however, relates to the fact that most people's eyes are growing (and thus changing) until they are in their early 20's. At 18, I was 20/20; at 20, I was 20/70; at 23, I was 20/200. Some of that was due to computers and a lot of studying, but not all of it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have much to worry about.
My eyes changed like that, just not as severely. I was 20/20 at 18 and 20/70 by 25, but been fairly stable since.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.