• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA spots for ROTC going away?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Now that might actually be possible. If it is true (and who knows if it is), sounds like the pendulum is swinging the other way as they try and draw down forces. ROTC guys getting a reserve commission was the way it was done in the past, including myself (and even USNA guys for a while).

What does the "R" stand for in ROTC???

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What does the "R" stand for in ROTC???

I don't know. I think it has something to do with how I'm told by my admin that SELRES sign their name with USN. Not really sure I buy that, but it's not worth fighting.

torpedo0126

\

Only half true. I did a history project on my ROTC unit my senior year and after talking a lot with my CO he had basically heard they were planning on shifting more of the scholarships for our unit to our more cheaper crosstown programs and giving fewer to Vandy students. The unit would likely remain at our school given it's been around since the 40s, but I wouldn't be surprised that if the next 10 years my unit was mostly TSU/Belmont students.

Expensive schools also have a cap on how many scholarships they can be awarded per year. My unit went from 25 to 15 despite continued interest in the program. Conversely, public universities do not have a cap limit. If the Navy feels the student is worth a scholarship they can give it out.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Expensive schools also have a cap on how many scholarships they can be awarded per year. My unit went from 25 to 15 despite continued interest in the program. Conversely, public universities do not have a cap limit. If the Navy feels the student is worth a scholarship they can give it out.

When I was stashed at the ROTC office in P'cola I worked on a project where we offered to upgrade folks who got 3 year scholarship to a 4 year but only if they went to a specific school. If they didn't want to go to that school (which was one of the 'cheaper' NROTC schools) then they could still keep their 3 year scholarship and take it to any school they could get into.

The plan was to save money by moving folks away from schools like Vandy, Duke and Harvard and pushing them to the Maritime Academies and state schools. Some took the Navy up on the offer, but most stuck with their 3 year ride and went to the school of choice.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
God I love the rumor mill. I can only imagine the helmet fires this is causing in the various ROTC units and up at USNA.

NUFO06

None
I heard that the number one ROTC kid in every unit has a choice of getting a jet contract, making the what percentage get jets question no longer an issue for that person.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I heard that when the T6B gets here, all the T34s will go out to the NROTC units and the winged officers on the staff will run IFS that way. It's from a reliable source.

phrogpilot73

The reserve commission happened ~1994 (can't remember if it was c/o 94 or c/o 95). At that time, the Academy began generating "reserve" officers just like the ROTCs. I can't remember if it was congressional or DoN. For augmenting everyone to regular commissions, yes, you are correct. However, before 2005, you just had to submit for a board and you were augmented. I didn't even turn in any paperwork, admin just asked me a couple of questions and submitted a letter for me.
It was class of '95

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The reserve commission happened ~1994 (can't remember if it was c/o 94 or c/o 95). At that time, the Academy began generating "reserve" officers just like the ROTCs. I can't remember if it was congressional or DoN. For augmenting everyone to regular commissions, yes, you are correct. However, before 2005, you just had to submit for a board and you were augmented. I didn't even turn in any paperwork, admin just asked me a couple of questions and submitted a letter for me.

It was class of '95

Pretty certain it happened later than that, they were still giving out regular commisions in '95 and '96.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty certain it happened later than that, they were still giving out regular commisions in '95 and '96.

When I came in in '94, the rule had been enacted. I just can't remember if it just applied to c/o of '98 or it was also applied to earlier classes. An Academy '97 guy I work with said he was commissioned USNR, for what that's worth. I just wasn't sure how far back it went (but agree it was after c/o '94).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
God I love the rumor mill. I can only imagine the helmet fires this is causing in the various ROTC units and up at USNA.

This is actually the first place I've seen it, though I've heard many a second class saying they won't be having any more USMC Aviation contracts starting next year and the "few" that will be offered will have to be competed for at TBS.