• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA spots for ROTC going away?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
tumblr_kum98pZg0j1qax65oo1_500.jpg

Hey McFly, your shoe's untied.....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I haven't heard anything similar to what you're saying but A pool was told that "they" are considering switching NROTC commissions to reserve rather than active duty. So, take that for what it's worth, which most likely isn't very much.

Now that might actually be possible. If it is true (and who knows if it is), sounds like the pendulum is swinging the other way as they try and draw down forces. ROTC guys getting a reserve commission was the way it was done in the past, including myself (and even USNA guys for a while).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Didn't the change from reserve to regular commissions take an act of congress? Specifically, the 2005 Defense Authorization Act?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't the change from reserve to regular commissions take an act of congress? Specifically, the 2005 Defense Authorization Act?

The reserve commission happened ~1994 (can't remember if it was c/o 94 or c/o 95). At that time, the Academy began generating "reserve" officers just like the ROTCs. I can't remember if it was congressional or DoN. For augmenting everyone to regular commissions, yes, you are correct. However, before 2005, you just had to submit for a board and you were augmented. I didn't even turn in any paperwork, admin just asked me a couple of questions and submitted a letter for me.

torpedo0126

I have been told as well from a few contacts from my old school that "they" are considering eliminating expensive private NROTC schools, i.e. Notre Dame, Northwestern, MIT etc.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
So I just heard from a friend of mine at USNA telling me he "heard about" a brief from a Commander telling the Firsties that all SNA spots after 2011 will come from USNA, and all aviation spots from ROTC will be "phased-out".

I laughed to myself when hearing this because this guy is extremely gullible, but as a SNA-hopeful in ROTC, news like this is hard for me to look past.

Has anyone on here heard about news like this? It sound pretty obsurd, but if you have heard anything please share.

-RH

Those guys at the academy are also scared into not wearing brown shoes until winged which is total BS.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I have been told as well from a few contacts from my old school that "they" are considering eliminating expensive private NROTC schools, i.e. Notre Dame, Northwestern, MIT etc.

That's probably as plausible as only taking pilots from the Academy. Neither one is going to happen. Perhaps a program at some high dollar school somewhere will fold, but it's not going to be because of some massive drawdown/reorganization. It'll be because that school's program couldn't justify its existence in several categories.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, every T34C in TW-5 is grounded right now (I shit you not) until some components in the rudder pedals are inspected for cracks. Hopefully it's an easy inspection where they don't have to rip the whole panel off to see. I get the feeling that tomorrow will be a rodeo.

I didn't know Toyota made T-34C's.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's probably as plausible as only taking pilots from the Academy. Neither one is going to happen. Perhaps a program at some high dollar school somewhere will fold, but it's not going to be because of some massive drawdown/reorganization. It'll be because that school's program couldn't justify its existence in several categories.
\

Only half true. I did a history project on my ROTC unit my senior year and after talking a lot with my CO he had basically heard they were planning on shifting more of the scholarships for our unit to our more cheaper crosstown programs and giving fewer to Vandy students. The unit would likely remain at our school given it's been around since the 40s, but I wouldn't be surprised that if the next 10 years my unit was mostly TSU/Belmont students.