• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA/SNFO Commitment

Aggie08

IFS complete, starting API June 26!
Ok I keep hearing different things. I know out of NROTC right now SNA is flight school plus 8. Is NFO flight school plus 6?

war eagle

yeah, i think you're right. the time doesn't start counting down until you get winged. at least that's my understanding....

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
yeah, i think you're right. the time doesn't start counting down until you get winged. at least that's my understanding....
Clock starts from day you get your wings. Since I winged Aug 31, 2001, My commitment was up Sep 1, 2007.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My SNA contract is 8 years for fixed wing and 6 years for helo.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My SNA contract is 8 years for fixed wing and 6 years for helo.

I would expect that change. It hasn't been 6 years for years. Mine was 7. Guys after me were also 7, but had it changed when they got winged to 8. W/ the amount of bodies they're trying to push through the Primary and Helo pipeline, I'm guessing they want to hold on to you for a while.

HuggyU2

None
FYI: in the USAF it's 10 years for pilot wings (fixed or rotary). Pilot training (UPT) takes 1 year to get wings.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Navy can change my contract once I'm in?

You're not "in" yet. You're commissioned, but that doesn't mean you've executed winging orders, which is where the commitment will be. So, in short, yes.

A commitment and orders are two different things. I've signed paperwork that committed me to two more years, but my orders have me going for three. When I execute the orders, I'm agreeing to another year of commitment. I'm over-simplifying it a bit, but you get the idea.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You're not "in" yet. You're commissioned, but that doesn't mean you've executed winging orders, which is where the commitment will be. So, in short, yes.

A commitment and orders are two different things. I've signed paperwork that committed me to two more years, but my orders have me going for three. When I execute the orders, I'm agreeing to another year of commitment. I'm over-simplifying it a bit, but you get the idea.
Traditionally are orders 3 years in length?